Help! Need advice re clocksprings OR disconnecting airbag light - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 14:08   #1 (permalink)

Help! Need advice re clocksprings OR disconnecting airbag light

I have a like-new '92 Mustang GT which, the Ford dealer says, needs a clock spring AND new airbag monitor to stop the airbag idiot light.

Problem: He can't locate clock spring for the '92 Mustang and Ford doesn't make them anymore. If the idiot light can't be turned off, my Stang can't pass inspection and the car is useless to me. Assuming no clock spring can be located (I've heard junkyard ones are bound to break real soon and there's no "Clocksprings r' Us"), how easy is it to disconnect bulb for airbag light? Of course, Ford dealer won't do it, but I'm more than willing. For all I know, airbag would work regardless of light being inop (and I always wear a seatbelt anyway). I doubt that drivers with pre-airbag era cars are risking their lives everyday. It's either that or my baby goes to junkyard. HELP!
green5literGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy old man

Re: Help! Need advice re clocksprings OR disconnecting airbag light

First off, if the airbag light is on, the airbag system is not functional and it will not deploy in the event of an accident.

As far as disabling the light, you will need to pull out the instrument cluster and then the bulb can be accessed from the rear.

Personally, I'd give a used one a try.

eBay Motors: 90-93 Mustang GT LX 5.0 Steering Wheel Clock Spring (item 170122942657 end time Jun-24-07 17:30:00 PDT)

eBay Motors: 1991-92 Mustang Air Bag Sensors and Clock Spring (item 180131543888 end time Jun-24-07 16:15:03 PDT)

GT-40X303 heads, E-cam, 1.6 roller rockers,
Cobra intake, Edelbrock 65mm t/b, 73 mm C&L, CAI,
24 lb injectors, AFPR, 3.73's, March underdrives.

FRPP headers, Bassani catted X, SLP Loudmouth.
This thing is loud!!!

Pony R's with Eagle ZR's, stock AOD.

Cervini's Air Extractor hood
2003 GT seats
Springtime Edition mirrors & wing

ff member 157
wythors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:17   #3 (permalink)
fordmech

Well that's a sticky one mate.
No one is EVER going to tell you to remove the globe (specially no one from Ford), simply because of the legal implications of doing it. Of course, this doesn't mean you can't do it. But like Wythors said, if the light is on, your system is disabled. Also, when someone is inspecting the car, they'll know you've removed the globe because even if there's nothing wrong, the system is designed to illuminate the globe for a few seconds every time the ignition is switched on (system prove out). So anyone can pick it out.
If you can't get a hold of a second hand one I was going to suggest that you check which other Fords have a similar clockspring that you can use. Most of the time these clocksprings are designed to fit more than one model, so it is possible you could use something out of another Ford built around the same year as your 'stang. I'm not 100% familiar with all your models because some of them were never imported down here but anything that has a similar looking/sized steering wheel AND wiper/turn-signals switches will be a good place to start.
cheers and good luck!
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:32   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors
First off, if the airbag light is on, the airbag system is not functional and it will not deploy in the event of an accident.

As far as disabling the light, you will need to pull out the instrument cluster and then the bulb can be accessed from the rear.

Personally, I'd give a used one a try.
THANKS for the tips. I had checked Ebay and found nothing, but obviously EbayMotors apparently isn't included in Ebay searches OR I effed up the search some other way.
Re the airbag light being on, the airbag isn't functional, do you mean continuously on (which it's not)? It's blinking out a "52" trouble code which (unless I screwed up that search too) has something to do with low backup voltage.

One last question: The Ford dealer also said the car would need a new monitor in addition to the clock spring. That seems illogical because why would a monitor need to be replaced if it's apparently doing it's job? It's a $250 item, so it's not chump change. Again, thanks very much for the advice....it might have saved my Stang.
green5literGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum