How do I get more power/speed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2001, 20:42   #1 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Question How do I get more power/speed

I am pulling my 302 engine out of my stang again. I am wondering what are some of the best things to put into it. Right now, it is all stock. I am looking to make this car go faster, lol who isnt these days...and have more power, not that it doesnt already, but if its out I want to do this. Thanx for the help.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2001, 09:07   #2 (permalink)
mfp4073

I don't know what you have had done already, but heres the most common stages:

1. headers/dual exhaust
highrise 4bbl intake/performance carb
ignition(pertronix to start or one of the tuneable setups)

2. cam
heads
bottom end

3. Stroker motor conversion
bored out
balancing, blueprining
supercharger
NOS

Keep in mind this is just engine stuff. Changing rear end gear will drastically change the pull the car has. If you have a 3.00, set up to a 3.25 or 3.50. Also, transmissions can be improved. Manuals can upgrade the clutch stuff for better performance and autos the torque converter and shift kits. Furthermore, keep in mind that the more power you create the more the bottom end of the motor has to hold everything together. Improving the bottom end will make sure that your motor does not eat itself!!!
Old 12-21-2001, 12:51   #3 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

So far, I have flowtech headers, which arent really street legal but I havent been stopped yet. It goes from 3" to 2 dual 2.5" and has 2 thrush turbo mufflers. I also have a Weiand intake and Holley 4V carb. Everything else is all stock. What would you recommend for a cam, and also, I'm not too clear on blueprinting...can you explain it to me a little if possible? Thanks
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 07:53   #4 (permalink)
Taurus Member

As far as balance and blue printing the machine shop takes your crank,connecting,rods, and pistons and balances everything out so there is less vibration. Less vibration means longer engine life and less power loss through the vibration. Plus it allows the engine to rev easer and a bit higher. As far as a cam selection it depends what you want. You could go with a big cam and get that mean muscle car sound, lots of horsepower. But this comes at the expense of gas mileage, loss of torque, and drivabilty. It may also put your powerband so high that you may never see it. Hot Rod magazine Nov. 2001 issue had the best cam and intake combo. It stated that edelbrock air gap and xe258 cam by comp cams was the best real life set up, providing good power and drivability. They dynoed this setup 357@5,600hp and 370@4300 lb. ft. This was done with a gt40 crate engine.
kidtaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 13:31   #5 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Smile

Blueprinting is a separate matter from balancing. Blueprinting means the engine will be made precisely correct dimensionally according to factory specifications. Align boring is an example. This process involves boring the cylinders so that they are exactly aligned with the other cylinders. There are other procedures involved as well.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum