How do i tell a 302 from a 351? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2002, 11:41   #1 (permalink)
purple81

How do i tell a 302 from a 351?

Hello,

I am new here and know little about fords. I won't mention the company that i do know about, but i thought this is the place to come with my questions about fords.

I need to know how to tell the difference between a 302 and a 351 by looking at them. I also don't fully understand this cleveland/windsor thing and how to identify them, and which is better. I would think I could tell the difference by looking at the intake, valve covers, water pump, etc. I just have never seen a 351 to know what to look for.

Thanks for any help,

P.S.,
Don't be afraid to show me some pictures, that would help alot also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2002, 13:56   #2 (permalink)
purple81

I guess nobody else knows either...
Old 06-21-2002, 08:34   #3 (permalink)
1 bad 302

No doubt there are people who know (unfortunately not me), just they may not have read your post here yet.

PS Welcome to the forums,

Regards
Jon
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:59   #4 (permalink)
Wildlife Photographer

Quote:
I need to know how to tell the difference between a 302 and a 351 by looking at them. I also don't fully understand this cleveland/windsor thing and how to identify them, and which is better. I would think I could tell the difference by looking at the intake, valve covers, water pump, etc. I just have never seen a 351 to know what to look for.
Well purple81, I owned a Ford Fairlane ZH previous to the car that I drive now and I also couldn't figure out the difference between a 302 & a 351. I thought it was a 351 because of the amount of torque I felt when I put my foot down.
The only way I ever found out that it WAS a 351, was when I pulled the engine apart. And if I'm right (which I'm not sure I am) the only way you can tell is by looking at the numbers on the crankshaft, mine said "3 5 1". I hope for you that there's an easier way !

Old 06-21-2002, 09:02   #5 (permalink)

re

As far as I know you can't tell a 351 clevland apart from 302 because they have the same block but use different crank, rods, pistons & the 302's have small chamber heads. As for the windsors the 302 windsor has a deck height of 8.206 in & 351 windsor has deck heighet of 9.506 in. This makes the 351 wider and taller then the 302 windsor. The only way to tell the difference between the two is to measure the stroke. You have to pull one of the sparkplugs out (usualy number one) & turn the engine over by hand until the piston goes all the way up the bore & when you feel that it's trying to go down you stop & stick a piece of straight wire in the hole. You make sure that the piston is all the way up. You mark the spot on the wire & then you turn the engine over by hand and let the piston go all the way down untill you fill that the piston wants to go up again. You mark that on the wire as well & then you just mesure the difference between the two marks. This will roughly tell you how big is the stroke of the engine. The 351 should be 3.5 inches & the 302 should be 3 inches. The difference between the clevlands & windsors is the thermostat housing is bolted on the manifold on the Windsors & on the clevlands its bolted to the block. Clevlands have a cast iron factory intake manifold & windsors have an aloy factory intake manifold. I hope that helps.
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:46   #6 (permalink)
purple81

thanks, that way of measuring the stoke is pure genious! I have a vehicle that i have been wondering if it has been stroked or not.

So 302s and 351s are for all intents and purposes identical, which means you could switch heads, intakes, etc. between them. That's what I was wondering, also. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-18-2003, 20:21   #7 (permalink)

just read your post. to a certian extent a heavy one!! hope this helps. find this book "Ford Performance" by Pat Ganahl I bought a copy in 1988 and although I know fords I still found it quite informative it was published by, S-A Design. hopes this helps
cougar190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 13:56   #8 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Hi purple 81 and welcome.

I8AHSV has covered most of it for you. Though the heads are interchangeable ,it is difficult to interchange between the Windsor and Cleveland and I would suggest not worth it unless you are very keen.

In effect there is no 302 Cleveland in the US as this is an Australian setup and I'm guessing by the username of I8AHSV that this person is from Aus and hence the mention of it.

The interchange 302 W heads with 351W heads is straight forward but the combustion chamber sizes may vary and alter your compression ratio's.
The intake manifolds are different for the 302W and the 351W because the deck height is different and therefore the heads are further apart on 351 to 302.

As for which is better. I guess that is different for each person but as a rule the 351C has more of a reputation as a high performance engine but it's production ceased in the 70's. There are many high perf parts out there available still.It tends to be a little larger and heavier than the Windsor as well but drag racers still use them.

The Windsor on the other hand was produced until very recently. There have been many millions of them made and I would say would almost be a match for the small block chevy for availability of parts etc. A late model fuel injected 302W mustang engine commonly referred to as a 5.0ltr is a very good engine for power economy and reliability.

I hope this helps and please just ask if you need more help.I hope you continue to enjoy Ford Forums.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:00   #9 (permalink)
Krazy Kyle

Re: How do i tell a 302 from a 351?

so. every1 is 100% sure 351 is 3.5" inches. positive.......????? cos damn i hope so. can some1 confirm this for me?
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:13   #10 (permalink)

Re: Re: How do i tell a 302 from a 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty
so. every1 is 100% sure 351 is 3.5" inches. positive.......????? cos damn i hope so. can some1 confirm this for me?
Bounty 100% sure a 351 has 3.5 inch stroke and 302 has 3inch. A stroked Cleveland would have 3.8 inch using chev rods etc, very expensive but worth it for the power.

Another rough way to check your heads is do a compression test. 351 came with open chambers and had a compression of around 8:5:1 302's had 9:1:1- 9:5:1

My 351 had open chambers flat top pistons and had 150 PSI all round.

A 351 with 302 heads (depending on combustion chamber size) will have min 165 PSI to 200PSI around 11:1:1
clevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum