How much fluid in my TC? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 12:29   #1 (permalink)

How much fluid in my TC?

Ive never dealth with a torque converter before (always had sticks) and need to know how to tell when its got enough fluid in it? When I pulled it out it got a little water in it so I need to drain the old and add new.. Just dont know how to tell how much I should add.

TC is for a C6 if that matters.
MusPuppis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 13:27   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: How much fluid in my TC?

Why did you remove the transmission MusPuppis?. Did you have trouble with it. If you have had the TC off the transmission then when you reassemble it you will need to be sure it is pushed into the transmission and located properly. There are small lugs on the shaft that goes into the tranny from the TC that must locate in the tranny pump correctly. Put the TC on and then turn it around clockwise the anti clockwise while pushing it in several times to be sure all the splines and lugs are fully located. This is very important.

Once you have the TC in correctly and the transmission replaced back in the car then simply fill the tranny through the transmision dipstick tube until you get to the full mark on the dipstick. A funnel and tube is handy for this. This will take quite a bit of transmission fluid , I'm not sure of the exact amount but maybe from 5 to 8 litres. The TC will fill when the engine is started and the tranny pumps fluid all through everything.

After the engine has run for a few minutes then recheck the fluid level on the tranny dipstick. Do this a couple of times to be sure the fluid has been pumped around and fully filled the TC and then drive the vehicle to warm everthing up and recheck the transmission dip stick while the vehicle is warmed up and the engine still idling in park.
Old 11-08-2004, 14:09   #3 (permalink)

Re: How much fluid in my TC?

Ahh thanks much man, I didnt know it worked that way. Never dealt with an automatic before.

The reason I had the tranny out is I'm swapping a 92 Stang GT motor into my 94 F-150. Got the motor in and everything more or less hooked up. I just finished rebuilding the C6 so its time to put her back in and see how long my busted valve body can carry the truck, lol.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. Time to get dirty.
MusPuppis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum