I want to replace my auto transmission with a 5 speed. Problems? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 18:16   #1 (permalink)

Question I want to replace my auto transmission with a 5 speed. Problems?

I have a 2000 Mustang with a 6cyl automatic. I ran into a guy that has a 2000 that got wrecked. This one is also a 6cyl, but it has a manual transmission. So the guy is willing to get rid of it, but I was wondering if anyone knows what's involved with switching them out. It seems pretty straight forward, but I guess my concern is that since everything on these things is computerized, what's going to happen when I do actually swap them? Do you need to do anything to the computer, or any other part of the car, to make the switch?

I had a 92 GT with a 5 speed, Unfortunately, it too got wrecked. But I miss the manual transmission. Granted, a 6 cyl is no 5.0, but the 5 speed would still be a huge improvment.
dmsmythe32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 06:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: I want to replace my auto transmission with a 5 speed. Problems?

Swap....

You will need a lot of parts off the wrecked 2000 model, but its not an impossible process.

The biggest affair is when you pull the dash out of both cars (the wreck to get access to all the pedals and such, and your car to INSTALL them).

I'd recommend discarding the OE plastic clutch quadrant and going with a nice billet aluminum aftermarket part (that old plastic piece is getting brittle by now anyway).

New parts to buy...

Clutch (you're crazy to reuse the old one), pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch cable, transmission mount bushings, etc.

I would recommend a nice aftermarket short throw shifter (again, the OE is probably worn out by now, and its rubbery as heck no matter what).

Swapping out the computers makes a LOT of sense (your AOD computer will be concerned when it loses touch with that AOD tranny).

I would think that you can use your existing driveshaft, but I'm not sure, so I'd grab that from the wreck as well. You'll also need the transmission mount.

Be sure to check out the manual tranny before you invest time and money in it. These are pretty weak sisters as such things go in the transmission biz - famous for eating synchros. If its about to go bad, it should have been giving your friend ample warning (particularly on cold mornings). If it needs an overhaul, now is the time to do it. Swap out the old lube for new (I'd use synthetic) regardless.

Frankly, you might be better off selling your car and shopping for the car you want. You might price all the labor for the swap with a good local garage. Even assuming you do the work yourself, it might be valuable to know exactly how much it would cost (I would say approximately half the value of the car to start with).

His co-driver is at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2589291
tripleblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum