Insane 1989, 1986 Confusion. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2002, 09:03   #1 (permalink)
andrewsg

confused Insane 1989, 1986 Confusion.

Alright, I have a 1986 LX Convertible (V6 232) and I just recently acquired a 1989 'GT' Hatchback, which was actually a 4 banger LX at birth, and now it is supremely 'ghettoized' as if it were at a chop-shop. The 89's frame is a bit bent, the body a LITTLE rusty, flexi-exhaust (heh), and a nice 302 H.O. The interior is BRAND new, and the rollcage is welded to the frame. The 86 is in great condition except for the transmission, a paint job and some body work on the front clip.

The question: Is it possible to take the lowering springs, engine, tranny, GT effects, saleen wing, roll cage, interior and the aftermarket oil/water guages out of the 89 and put them into/on the 86? Or are the sizes different? I was also thinking about taking the front clip off of the 89 and putting it on the 86, is that possible (?), because I like the headlight style on the 89 more (and the 86's front end is a bit cracked and bent from rear ending a jeep cherokee (heh)).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2002, 19:36   #2 (permalink)
Mustang GT Member

Thumbs up 86 SWAP

HEY THERE,YES YOU CAN SWAP THE PARTS OFF YOUR 89 GT ONTO YOUR 86 CONV,EVERY THING WILL BOLT ON,AS FOR THE ENGINE I WOULD CONVERT YOUR 302 HO TO CARB IT WOULD BE EASIER TO WIRE UP,ALL YOU NEED IS A 85 GT DIST,DURASPARK IGNITION BOX AND FRONT COVER,ALL THIS CAN BE FOUND AT SALVAGE YARD OR PARTS STORES AS FOR THE GAS TANK YOU NEED TO DROP IT AND PULL THE PUMP OUT,REPLACE IT WITH A PIECE OF RUBBER HOSE THE SAME LEIGHT AS THE PUMP AND REINSTALL IT BACK IN THE TANKS IT WORKS GREAT YOUR ALSO GOING TO NEED A MAN FUEL PUMP FOR THE 85 TIMING COVER LET ME KNOW HOW EVERY THING TURNS OUT ,I'M BUILDING AN 89 STANG IT WAS A 4 BANGER BUT ITS GETTING THE GUTS AND BODY PANELS FROM A 93 CONV GT MY CAR IS ALSO GOING TO BE A CARB CAR ITS CHEAPER TO BUILD POWER AND GOES AS GOOD AS EFI.IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT psylvain@maineline.net I'D BE GLAD TO HELP ANOTHER STANGER OUT.
1nstygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum