Intake choice 5.0 carb - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

Question Intake choice 5.0 carb

I am going to install an 87 5.0 into my 80 Mustang , I was wondering if anyone had any input on what intake I should run,5 speed and 3.55 or 3.73 gear,probably a 750 holley.Thanx
shovelhead 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy old man

Re: Intake choice 5.0 carb

Unless its highly built, a 750 is WAAAAAY too much carb. 650 would be pushing it and I'd lean more towards a 575.

GT-40X303 heads, E-cam, 1.6 roller rockers,
Cobra intake, Edelbrock 65mm t/b, 73 mm C&L, CAI,
24 lb injectors, AFPR, 3.73's, March underdrives.

FRPP headers, Bassani catted X, SLP Loudmouth.
This thing is loud!!!

Pony R's with Eagle ZR's, stock AOD.

Cervini's Air Extractor hood
2003 GT seats
Springtime Edition mirrors & wing

ff member 157
wythors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 22:06   #3 (permalink)

5 speed with a 3.73 and run a Weiand Stealth, a Performer RPM or a Offy 360 degree high rise intake. Is this an 87 HO motor?
Mercracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:59   #4 (permalink)

Yes its an HO motor.
shovelhead 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 15:45   #5 (permalink)

Run whatever intake you like. For the street and all-around fun I really like Weiand Stealths. Period.
750 cfm is way too much. Yes, people run them. They also have a bunch of problems with stumble, bogging off the line, and so forth. One of the magazines ran a comparison some years back and they were suprised to find that a well-tuned 480 cfm Autolite actually outperformed aftermarket carbs.
Folks who have restrained themselves from buying too big a carb almost always are well pleased with the results.
So the closer you stick to 480cfm, the better. Good Autolites are getting pretty rare. Many people have had great luck with an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb. Easy to tune and they tend to stay tuned. Many people have just bolted them on and never needed to tune them further.
If you like Holleys then something like the 570 Street Avenger is about as close as you can get. Those are vacuum secondaries though, you might prefer a double pumper with that 5 speed. So a regular old 600 cfm Holley would be the way to go.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum