low voltage at fuel pump connector, possible CCRM? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 20:24   #1 (permalink)

low voltage at fuel pump connector, possible CCRM?

hi folks. i have a '96 mustang gt. it began running rough, then got progressively worse over a few weeks. then i couldn't start it. i checked for fuel at the valve on the rail, ign on, eng off. i got no fuel at all. while having engine cranked, i re-checked and got some fuel, but not much. it burbbled out rather than squirting. i have changed the filter. the fuel that drained out was nasty yellow, but the filter wasn't the cause. i checked the brown/pink (looks purple to me) and black wires at the fuel pump connector behind the tank. I only measured 7vdc. i ran a wire (cat-v,lol) from the battery to the female pins that lined up with the br/pink and black wires. the fuel pump then began to work, flowing gas thru the line i had in place to the gas can. is this too obvious? if i have 7 volts at the connector, and the pump opperates when given a true 12 volts, it has to be the CCRM, right? does anyone know the pin-out of the CCRM itself? i suppose that if i read the voltage at the module itself, i'll know for sure if that's my problem.
mr.three-ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 21:21   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: low voltage at fuel pump connector, possible CCRM?

What engine is it?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33   #3 (permalink)

it's a '96 gt, 4.6 sohc.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39   #4 (permalink)

And why can't i find any referrence to the CCRM when searching auto parts websites? I have followed a few threads here which referred to the CCRM (constant controll relay module) as the component that supplied the power to the fuel pump. does anyone have any knowledge of this part?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:12   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Here's the diagram for the pump circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel pump.jpg (68.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-02-2011, 18:08   #6 (permalink)

thank you, bert. that's very helpful. i can see that i'll need to trace that low voltage back through a few components. i'll start by making sure that the ground is good at that black wire. could someone clarify for me, i should have pressure on the fuel rail when the ignition is on, but the engine not started, right?
Old 01-02-2011, 21:03   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The pressure builds when the key is turned to run. The pump will run for a few seconds and quit until the engine is started. The pressure will gradually drop after the car sets for awhile. That's why the pump runs the short time when the key is turned to on. You won't have 12v at the pump all the time the key is on unless the engine is running or you bypass the ccrm.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum