Manual vs. Automatic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 17:26   #1 (permalink)

Manual vs. Automatic

Basically, manuals are a pain to learn and drive, but are really cool and give you more control. Automatics are smooth and easy, but don't usually have the same performance as a manual. So, on a Mustang between 1999 and 2002, is a manual transmission much better than an automatic one (better = better handling, control, acceleration, "fun" value, etc)? Basically, I have never owned a manual transmission car, and have only the most basic knowledge of how to drive one (i can drive one, but i suck at it). Would a manual be worth the time and effort, or should i stick with auto? I like performance in a car, but I don't want to deal with manual if the performance difference is neglidgeable compared to automatic. Thanks.
AirBrontosauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 21:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Manual vs. Automatic

I sucked the first time I drove a 5 speed. But, when I got my own. After a week it felt like I had driven one all my life. It would be better for you if you know someone who has a driven one for a long time. They can give you pointers. Yes, a manual is better in handling : because you down gear a go around a curve aithout hitting the brakes. Control: same reasons I just stated. If your battery dies one can always jump it off in 2nd gear and the car will run. Acceleration is instant. Lots of fun to drive if your on a curvey road or drag racing someone. The only downside to a manual is heavy traffic.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
vm3
Power, 0-60 4.8 seconds

stick with the stick
vm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
Mad Manz

Big Power Go Performance Auto, Hence Drag Racers All use Auto's!

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum