Motor Mounts 65 > 66 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2001, 18:52   #1 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Motor Mounts 65 > 66

In swapping early motor mounts for late, the hole dimensions are the same but the angle for the outside holes seems to be narrower. In order to make them fit, the upper holes in the frame brackets need to be made oval on the same radius as the original upper hole. This will leave the late mount bottom edge horizontal to the ground.

Any comments? Has anyone out there done this swap? Did the holes line up exactly? Your experience is what I am looking for.
Thanks!
geegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2001, 09:13   #2 (permalink)
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez

Lightbulb

hmm.

this is interesting indeed.

i've had three different engines in the '66 i have. the latest engine is from my old pony and is a '65 block. my dad and i had no problems getting it in using the '66 motor mounts. before this, we had a 289 from a '64 fairlane in there and that too fit with no problems using '66 motor mounts.

with each swap, we did not have to do anything to make it fit right. what you mention should work fine. if it's possible, do you have a pic of what you did and of the mounts?
Old 07-06-2001, 18:26   #3 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

I don't have a digital camera...keep spending my $ on this project car...

Pictures won't tell much since these look exactly like any other '65 to '69 frame brackets I've seen. They are two piece with a flange on the front side with a 3/8" bolt fastening the pieces. They fit in all respects except for the upper bolt holes which don't align with the frame holes (frame holes are too far outside by about one bolt hole diameter). Distance between the holes is fine, for if you separate the bracket into two pieces, the front piece will bolt on but sits at a funny angle.

One thing you might help me with is to tell me how horizontal the bottom of the brackets are when installed and weight is on them. Is the bottom horizontal with the ground? Or os it tipped slightly up/down at the inside edge? If it is tilted, which way and how much from horizontal? Note: stretching a string between the brackets the lower edge should give me an idea of whether they install level or off-level.

Thanks
geegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum