Mustang 1997 Coup 3.8 V6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 06:28   #1 (permalink)

confused Mustang 1997 Coup 3.8 V6

Hi folks,
Need a bit of help with the tyre pressures for the above vehicle. It is running on standard 15 inch wheels at 28 PSI front and rear - this may be too low although the handling and ride are good - not had it long enough to guage the tyre wear yet.
Any assistance as to correct pressures welcomed.
glenglaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 09:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mustang 1997 Coup 3.8 V6

Always run what is printed in the owners manual.
FEAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49   #3 (permalink)

Sadly I don't have an owners manual nor is there a sticker on the car and I still don't have any idea of the proper tyre pressures.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:25   #4 (permalink)

I would up it to 32, I've never liked lower than 30 on vehicles. I ran 35 in my old car and it was fine.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 18:54   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Best recommendation would be what is printed on the tires.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:21   #6 (permalink)

Thanks chaps for all your assistance I had it in mind to run 32 so I will see what happens.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:48   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
Best recommendation would be what is printed on the tires.

WRONG ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always do what is recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 10-02-2007, 13:57   #8 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEAnt
WRONG ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always do what is recommended by the manufacturer.
How do you figure that??? (Unless you meant the manufacturer of the tire)
So some jack ass put some passenger tires on a F250 heavy duty, and to top it off, he's hauling 1200 pounds. Owners manual says 80 PSI, Yeah, makes sense.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:52   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
How do you figure that??? (Unless you meant the manufacturer of the tire)
So some jack ass put some passenger tires on a F250 heavy duty, and to top it off, he's hauling 1200 pounds. Owners manual says 80 PSI, Yeah, makes sense.
No the part that doesn't make sense is passenger car tires on an F-250. And that example is a terrible example at that. The same example can be said for putting a Load Range C tire on your Jeep Liberty...with 50psi. Talk about suspension problems. Go ask your mechanic if you should put in what the tire says or what the owners calls for. Tire manufacturers data does not coincide with what auto manufacturers call for. Keep in mind that the same tire can appear on a variety of different vehicles and a variety of different manufacturers. That is the about the oldest myth in car land. Believing what is stamped on the side of a mass produced, "generic" tire vs what the chassis/suspension engineers who made the car want you to run is a bad idea.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22   #10 (permalink)

FEAnt is right. I worked in a tire/mechanic shop for five years and we had people coming in with this idea frequently. The tire manufacturer prints a MAXIMUM pressure on the tire, something you should not exceed. running below this is fine. In fact, on many vehicles (excluding heavy duty trucks that run 80 psi, which is the max printed on 10 ply tires, which those vehicles call for) if you run the amount listed on the tire you will wear out the center of the tread faster than the rest because the extra pressure bows out the tire, allowing it to mostly run on just the inside tread. The opposite applies to underinflated tires, where the center tread can actually begin bowing upwards off the ground, and the outsides of the tire wear faster.

Whoever sold those passenger tires to the guy with the F250 wasn't doing his job correctly. You should always have tires rated for at least the pressure that the vehicle manufacturer calls for.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum