Mustang Cobra Test Drive - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2001, 02:39   #1 (permalink)
Australian TE50 AU1 Member

Mustang Cobra Test Drive

I was very fortunate today, I managed to score a test drive of a Mustang at my local FTE dealer, Gregorys. Mustang is an apt name for this beast, it kicks and snorts and wants to bolt at every opportunity. Not what you would call a luxury sportscar and it does have a few annoyances, like the indicator on the left with the wiper lever. But these are soon forgotten when downward pressure is applied to the right foot and that engine sings.

What can I say, it is absorbing, intoxicating, addictive, .....heaven. I hope Ford find a place for this rip snorter in their cheaper cars, believe me, this is an engine that will sell cars. It’s hard to resist keeping it hovering between 5000-6000rpm, it just keeps pulling and howling. I found handling to be better than the TE, very stable in fast corners. The gearbox was a bit notchy especially from 2 –3rd, but you get used to it. I didn’t notice the clutch being too heavy, though the one in my TE felt really light afterwards.

Overall this is a fun car to drive and drive and drive. I just didn’t want to give it back. I know what I’ll be dreaming about tonight. Oh yes, I left with a promise of a test drive of the TS50 series 3 when it arrives in three weeks, please, no hate mail!!!!, I know how lucky I am.
TeeHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2001, 02:58   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Ya lucky #*&#@

:bs2:

Three weeks eh? Hmm.. wonder how long it'll take to get to FTE Newcastle.. 3 months??
Old 11-03-2001, 03:06   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

na no hatemail, i can give ya all the hate right on this forum!
Na seriously though if ya love the normal mustang so much how much would you luv the RA!?
Anyway id love to drive a mustang but geelong dont even ave thier own fte dealer!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 03:16   #4 (permalink)
Australian TE50 AU1 Member

Yep, I was thinking about the RA, can't even imagine it's performance. I'm impressed with the 4.6 engine, will we see this another car?, I understand it won't find it's way into the XR8.
TeeHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 04:13   #5 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Re: Mustang Cobra Test Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by TeeHee
Oh yes, I left with a promise of a test drive of the TS50 series 3 when it arrives in three weeks, please, no hate mail!!!!, I know how lucky I am.
Mike!!!!... Buddy!!!! You still have my number right?? Hehehe...
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 06:31   #6 (permalink)
RACE

Quote:
Originally posted by TeeHee
I'm impressed with the 4.6 engine, will we see this another car?, I understand it won't find it's way into the XR8.
Not in the AV as far as I know, but if the 4.6l is that good, I can't wait till the 5.4l! :rcool:

Although the 4.6l will be optional on the new Explorer, in a detuned 178kw version.
Old 11-03-2001, 07:16   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

will that be the sohc or dohc for the explorer. I beleive the reason they didnt want to get the 4.6 was that it didnt have the torque curve that was required for the falcon. The mustang donk has 430nm and the cobra Ra has about 460nm with 280kw and is good in the lighter mustang. This new 5.4 is gunna be a beats and I know its all new but will it be debuting in the falcon and then used in other ford cars or built only for our falcon?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Old 11-03-2001, 07:19   #8 (permalink)
RACE

Good question Cobra. I'm not sure if the Explorer 4.6 is SOHC or DOHC. I'm sure the Ford Aust. website would eventually have info on that.
Old 11-03-2001, 07:24   #9 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

you would think that torque would be a MUST for the explorer. Does anyone know how much torque the patrol/landcruiser ect have?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 11-03-2001, 12:18   #10 (permalink)
BSR

Quote:
Originally posted by el2xr8
Ya lucky #*&#@

:bs2:

Three weeks eh? Hmm.. wonder how long it'll take to get to FTE Newcastle.. 3 months??

I reckon they will be one of the first to get it in.......time to Mr Bank Manager

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum