Ford Forums banner

Mustang Cobra Type R v BA GT

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Barefoot 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there would be any *real* performance differences or any diff at all (ie same platform???) between the 287kw Type R and the 290kw GT?

Same shit different dog?

or for that matter is Ford australia following Holden in making an Australian version of an American car?

ie Camaro SS >> Commodore SS
Mustang type R(if that is even its name) >> GT falcon

Is it all just a marketing ploy?

#3 ·
The last Mustang Cobra R was built in 2000 and did use the 5.4l 385hp/287kw but this was a limited edition(300 made) and was the only time the 5.4 was used in a mustang.

The new Mustang Cobra uses a supercharged 4.6l 390hp/291kw engine but from what i have heard its more like 420hp.

#8 ·
Mustang Cobra R had 4valve head aswell. IM not sure if it was alloy or cast iron. I can't think of any 4v DOHC cast irion heads, but I thought Ford Oz were the first to use mustang 4v heads on the 5.4L windsor motor.

By the way the Mustang Cobra R weighs 1622kg. The GT will probably weigh over 100kg more. Still should be good for low 5's 0-100 and mid 13 0-400metres.

#9 ·
Cobra Rs have been known to run 12.5-12.7 1/4s, even if the GT weighs 1800kg they should run very low 13s or even crack 12s.

Dont expect the mags to get times like that though....

Cobra Rs had alloy heads, I think it not meeting their performance target is BS, more like wont meet their economy target as it was a pretty thirsty bugger.

#10 ·
Martin said:
Cobra Rs have been known to run 12.5-12.7 1/4s, even if the GT weighs 1800kg they should run very low 13s or even crack 12s.

Dont expect the mags to get times like that though....

Cobra Rs had alloy heads, I think it not meeting their performance target is BS, more like wont meet their economy target as it was a pretty thirsty bugger.
Yeah I was supprised when I read that. The Cobra R engine supposdidly had more power than rated, upto 430hp. I would say it was a thirsty bugger, be a good effort for ford ausdtralia to make the same power and use less fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.