Mustang Vs Monaro - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2002, 22:18   #1 (permalink)

Mustang Vs Monaro

Ford have a worthy opponent to Holden's Monaro in the Mustang. Ford need to get the pricing right. At the present Mustang is way too pricey in comparision to Monaro and in fact to other Ford product for that matter. I love the new Mustang but at the present price I could not justify spending the bucks. You can buy the TS50 and still have change of 20 grand in your pocket. Ford needs a coupe/convertible in the arsenal and I believe the Mustang is it. I know the import price is driven up by the Aussie dollars low worth, but surely Ford can do something to sort this situation. If Ford gets the pricing right I reakon the Mustang would sell the arse off the Monaro. The Mustang is an iconic and aspiratinal car. Ford just need to get more of them on the street by making them more affordable. I went to the all American car show at Castle Hill 2 weeks ago, an FTE Mustang commanded a huge crowd of admirers. I think most people don't even know they are available in Aus. Maybe Ford could look at putting more local content into Mustang to make it a bit cheaper. The bean counters at Ford need to realise they have a potential hit on there hands if they can just sort the price out. I mean we're talking Mustang here not Ferrari, the thing isn't meant to be an up market sports car. Mustang is an affordable everymans performance car in the States (always have been) thats why they sell so many of the things and that's where the appeal is. I just want one.
white vct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2002, 22:58   #2 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

85k down to 60k? that's a hell of a lot of fat Ford would have to trim outta the price!!
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 23:08   #3 (permalink)

Leave the price as is, but put some 18in rims on it and work on the handling to be a bit better. That shouldnt cost all that much?

Theres a new model out 3rd quarter of this year in the US anyway.... GT gets 285Hp, Cobra gets 390Hp.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 23:13   #4 (permalink)

Holden have the same problem with the Monaro!. We have only just got one in the showroom down here, and the majority (according to salesman) who come into look at it wouldn't take one over the SS that was siting next to it. Value for money and not being practical seem to be the most common reasons or comments. But maybe that only applies to tasmania where our two heads would struggle to get through the door and into the back seat.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 23:21   #5 (permalink)

Base Stang coupe costs around US$18,000, double that because of poor exchange rate, add a few grand for shipping, add another $10-15,000 for FTE to convert to RHD. So you're looking at nearly $60,000 before any profit is taken into consideration. There are probably other hidden costs I haven't factored in. As I mentioned in another thread selling things at a loss is a great way to go broke.
On a lighter note I remember hearing somewhere (can't recall where, old age is setting in!) that GMH are having a re-think about importing Corvettes because they reckon they would have to sell them for around $200,000, maybe more, and probably no-one would buy them for that.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 23:26   #6 (permalink)
goooone

I read somewhere that in the states a mustang Cobra costs similar to a WRX
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 23:32   #7 (permalink)

Read Prices

Rex is US$ 23,995
Convertible Stang is US$23,140
GT Coupe is US$23,360
GT Convertible is US$27,615

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 23:33   #8 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

That's right, I heard any HSV interest in a RHD corvette program is dead due to the cost. Like the Mustang, they would be die-hards who'd drop a deposit regardless of the cost.
Old 01-29-2002, 23:49   #9 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

why the comparison between mustang and monaro??the monaro is just a sedan that looks UGLY. The only legend about it is Holden said it's a legend!!
People compare mustang with porsche and bimmers,not an executive with a missing two doors!I feel sorry for the people who paid the deposit contract without seeing it, and now they have to live with it..And I'm not arguing: The car looks SILLY.
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 23:55   #10 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

I can't stand the Mustang styling - Ford or not, you wouldn't see me driving one.

It's all a matter of personal taste ...
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum