Mustang Washing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08   #1 (permalink)

Mustang Washing

Hey guys,

I have a mustang and got to thinking about the salts from all the snow lately.

I want to clean my mustang and I'm confused about what method I should use.

At first I was a afraid of using an automatic wash, but after researching the company's site, they claim it is brush free and 100% safe for the car. I'm not sure whether I believe it. Despite the claim I can see a bluish carpet of velvet looking flaps that move left and right as the car drives through the bay.

I considered washing my car at a do it yourself bay with a power sprayer, which sounds much more safer, but then I lose the specialized under-wash that is supposed to clean salts off of the bottom of the car, one of the main achievements I was trying to obtain.

What should I do? There is a lot of salty grime on my stang and i'd like to keep it cleaned off as suggested by some websites i've been browsing.

I don't have any idea about how i'd get the salts off the bottom of my car though if I used a do it yourself bay.
fordcars1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 10:47   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Mustang Washing

If you have a driveway and a hose that you can connect hot water too, that's all you need. Of course, the driveway will be an ice rink afterward unless you wait for a mild day.

I suggest going to a coin-wash where you can do it yourself. Brush drive-thru washes are OK and won't harm paint as badly as people think they would. I ran two over a seven year period and never had one complaint except from an old Mercedes Owner who lost some more exterior trim and asked if I had found anything (lol). Turned out he didn't lose it in my wash bay, but just make sure there are no loose items on the car and it'll be fine. A lot of car washes have a brush option, you have to tell the attendant that you want the brushes and he/she will activate them just for your wash; they're not necessarily used for every vehicle.

If the salt is bad enough, your best bet is to get the Stang undercoated every fall. A lot of places say twice a year is proper (once in spring one in fall), but even with 6-7 months of winter here, one undercoat will actually last two years with 20K of driving per year.

A brushless wash won't necessarily clean the paint, you'll be paying $8 or so for a wash that will leave a film over your paint. Only paint contacted items (such as brushes) will remove that film. A good car wash owner cleans the brushes before the start of each day, and sometimes throughout the day depending on brush use. If you walk up and notice a lot of black/green on a blue velvet based brush as you mentioned, I'd stay away. A little bit of discolouration is OK, but excessive black colour and other marks would turn me off right away. Hardened oil residue can cause damage to clearcoats.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum