Need Help - Which Mustang?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19   #1 (permalink)

biggrin Need Help - Which Mustang??

I am considering on purchasing a mustang to have as my daily commuter and to have some fun with...as in modifying it for speed. I would just like to know which mustang (year, model, engine type) would be the best to do this to. Order does it not matter? I am new to sports cars (I have always driven a truck and now need something a little faster). Thanks for your time.
hdurante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 19:55   #2 (permalink)
Unregistered

Re: Need Help - Which Mustang??

Man, if your budget provides, pick up a new GT. Ive had a lot of car over the years, and 2 months after getting one, I'm still wanting to go wast gas more than I did when I was 16 yrs old...car is an absolute blast to drive, looks pretty strong underneath, looks better on the outside to me than anything other than a 69 fastback, the exhaust sound is the best Ive ever heard(prior favorite was a buddies old 327 vette w/sidemounts~1966? sounded awesome- this is better...dunno how such a puny little motor can run/sound so good.)

The only 'driving' thing that could be improved is the drive-by-wire throttle sucks...I miss the cable, hate to lift the pedal and watch it hang at 2k for A FULL 6 SECONDS...stepping on it thogh more than makes up for the delay to idle :)
Third gear gate is a little vague...hard to reliably powershift into third, but it will scratch the tires if you do :)

if you can find a dealer that will let you test drive a new gt/stick, I dare you to drive it and not be hooked on it. Mine was 26k, nothing on it except leather steering wheel, and I cant imagine a better 'drivers car'. Although I've been dreaming about a magnacharger (if they ever come out, supposed to be around 3.5k for another 100 ft/lb just off idle).

the car has its quirks- like I said the gas pedal goes great, but just dont give the feel for engine braking control, the front end is not quiet, the tranny has slight gear whine(I kinda like it), the gas tank can be a pain in the a$$ to fillup, the 'shortdrop glass' is a bad idea in winter time(although it is very very quiet cruising at 70-80 in 5th), this might be a lot of the reason for lack of windnoise. Tipping the seats forward to let kids in/out requires readjusting every time- stupid design...but in driving, its a drivers dream...docile as can be, but touch the gas at over 2500 rpm, the exhaust 'shifts' like dr jekyll/mr hyde, and your movin in a big friggin hurry. most on ramps, I'm hitting the brakes(in second gear) to merge...and often leaving a couple stripes along the way...car is unbelievable.

an older cobra r I'm sure is the ultimate mustang, but try and find one that aint had the heck run out of it...they were built for a purpose, guaranteed those cars werent babied...get a new one for about the same money, and if you need more pick up a roots style blower for near bigblock torque.

try and get a test drive soon- right now theyre on the lots, come spring, demand is gonna go up again, and dealers aint gonna be doing much to push a sale. For the money, I really dont think you could find anything else new that would compare.

I still love the looks of my 69, but it will never be half as tight/well balanced as this new one...cannot say enough good things about the overall package Ford put together in the 05+...
Old 03-08-2006, 22:22   #3 (permalink)

I like my 66 but I may be biased

97 TJ wrangler lifted 33" JT etc

04 VY SS Commadore 5.7(wifes)
krankieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:45   #4 (permalink)

As with most things in life. It depends on much money one wants to spend. I say get a 05 or 06 GT.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24   #5 (permalink)

I'd go with a 1987-1993 Mustang coupe. Coupe as opposed to a convertible or a hatchback. Several reasons:

They're among the lightest of the Mustangs.
Parts are cheap.
Parts are available to build it EXACTLY the way you want it.
The 5.0 is a hard-running, long-lasting engine.

All in all, I'd really recommend that if you're getting a Mustang. The newer ones are too expensive and parts are pretty high, too.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 13:01   #6 (permalink)

Thanks a lot guys. This is the kind of feedback i was hoping for. Thanks again
Old 03-09-2006, 18:46   #7 (permalink)

Any more questions? Where are you located? I know people all over the country- may be able to help you get set up...

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 13:14   #8 (permalink)

I'm in Austin, Texas. I appreciate your help. I really like the newer mustangs but an older hot rod would do the trick also. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum