Ford Forums banner

New Guy with ???????

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dmark101 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just recently purchased a '66 Coupe with a freshly rebuilt 289. This is my first foray into Blue Oval ownership. This car is for my wife to drive (when I'm not borrowing it) as a daily driver. I am ignorant when it comes to early Ford muscle. I own a '71 Nova (Yeah, a Chevy, but I'm broadening my horizons) that I have worked on and have some experience with. But that car doesn't have the history that a Mustang has of course.
The car has drums all the way around and a switch to front discs is in order. If anyone can point me to some sources as to best approach that chore I would appreciate it. I have found a few pages on the Granada swap and that seems the best option, but I have no idea.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

ben66

#2 ·
There are several companies out there that specialize in front disc swap kits. I have installed several Stainless Steel Brake Co. front conversions and several rear disc brake conversions. They are first class kits and are very helpful if you have a tech. question.

#3 ·
Gearhead99 said:
There are several companies out there that specialize in front disc swap kits. I have installed several Stainless Steel Brake Co. front conversions and several rear disc brake conversions. They are first class kits and are very helpful if you have a tech. question.
I took a look at those kits and they seem to be pretty complete. I think it might be easier than hunting through the boneyard for parts. Do you know how much it usually runs for a front kit?
Thanks

ben66

#4 ·
The cheapest I have found is about $700. I just recently bought the Wilwood drum to disk conversion. It has 4 piston calipers and 13 in. rotors so I am hoping this will be more than adequate. Try ebay or mustang classifieds.

#5 ·
Im just wondering while this discussion is going on, my mustang has all 4 drums and I have no problem with it. I have been thinking of converting, but why really convert - what are the advantages of converting?

#6 ·
I am glad to see someone out there who sticks up for those old drums. If they work for you that is great.

I bought my Mustang for my wife to drive (mostly) and I would prefer to have it be as safe as possible for her. I have driven the car with its four drums and I am not satisfied with the braking. We live in the LA area and the traffic is crazy. I don't think durms are all bad, but there was a reason I think that manufacturers went to discs up front as a standard practice. I will take my chances with the disc swap. I am planning on going with the Granada swap up front. If anyone has any tips about that let me know.
Thanks.

ben66

#7 ·
drum brakes

drum brakes do work... just nowhere near as well as disc brakes. i participate in several forums and i deal with older cars and the subject comes up often. drum brakes are fine for occaisional drivers and do work. the problem is that the way people drive and traffic conditions have changed so much in the last few decades that drum brakes no longer provide the margin of safety that most people are comfortable with. disc brakes function much more efficiently and more consistently than drum brakes. most people don't remember brake fade as it is no longer an issue with a car, but 35 years ago brake fade was common and it was not unuusal to see a police report after an accident with the cause being brake failure. converting is a cheap and easy measure of protection. you may never need it, but on a car that is not a points correct restoration why would you do it any differently? i am lucky because i am california and scavenging brakes is easy, i just got a nice set of front and a versaille disc brake rear for 450.00. i didn't "need" it but for the price it is hard not to use it. the fronts sell for around 200.00 out here and of course we don't have rusty crap so it is a no brainer. the granada/monarch/versaille brakes are an easy swap and they are actually better brakes than the early mustang as they have heavier rotors and single piston calipers both of which are designed to be more forgiving to the driver and maintenance. they bolt on and the only change is the outer tie rod end. hawkrod

ps if anyone is interested i can get another set of fronts for 200 and i also have a complete good looking set of original 10 X 2 1/2 rear drum brakes (i bought them before i got the versaille rear) and i would sell all of it for 350.00 plus shipping but you need to let me know asap as i am putting the rears on e-bay.

#9 ·
i have to agree with chad here.

i have a '66 coupe as well and i can't stand having 4 drums, so i will be converting the entire set up to discs soon.

as far as searing boneyards for parts, you would need to pick up the parts interchange manual to see which cars you can scavange parts from with the lowest degree of difficulty. it's also going to mean that you may find parts that you would have to replace anyway. i think your best bet is to get a kit from one of the MANY mustang shops around.

if you haven't already done so, visit www.cal-mustang.com and get yourself a catalog. the paddock (in san bernardino) is another great local parts source, as is larry's mustang in fullerton.

oh, welcome to the board! :s5 join a mustang club and you'll REALLY meet some people who can help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.