New project:1989 Ford Mustang GT convertible - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 17:47   #1 (permalink)

New project:1989 Ford Mustang GT convertible

I finally got what I wanted. I've wanted one of these babies since 1992. I won the car on Ebay and drove to Pottsville,Pa. from North Carolina to pull this thing back home. My girlfriend is pissed she looked at the car when we pulled up and got right back in the truck to wait for me and the seller to load it up. Anyway the interior is nasty the car was parked for three years with no back window and holes in the top. Interior smells like dead mice but I only found one dead mouse, couple of nests, and alot of droppings. the car is complete for the most part. Engine was rebuilt and put back in the car but I need to finish installing the fuel rails, upper intake, wiring,radiator,etc. Car looks like it was in a lite accident because it has a brand new primed fender rt turnsignal is broken front bumper cover is gone. I have found one small dent on the edge of the hood other than that the body is straight. I'll add some pictures later on.
nyfreakinrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 20:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: New project:1989 Ford Mustang GT convertible

Good deal. When you gonna give me that 4cyl vert of yours?

What are the plans for this car, anyway?

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:15   #3 (permalink)

The 4cyl. is sitting in the yard keeping the ants warm and dry. The GT is something I have always wanted.Only plan I have is to get it running so I can drive it around right now. It needs exhaust manifolds + h-pipe. I believe I have everything else less the battery. Since the car sat for at least a year since the engine was rebuilt but not run does it have to be torn apart again or what ? The car had a hood on it but the valve covers and upper intake manifold were left off so there is light surface rust from dew/condensation.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57   #4 (permalink)

I'd pull the heads to check the cylinder walls. It's a close call. You can put a socket on the crank and try to turn it over, just to see. You may actually be able to see into an exhaust or spark plug port to see the walls, but I'd really recommend opening it up to be sure.
If you're planning this for a daily driver, run a catted H-pipe.

My Garage
Old 05-30-2006, 23:29   #5 (permalink)

When I turn it over am I listening for it to scrape? Should I put oil in it first? And are the head bolts reusable on these cars or they have to be replaced like the 4.6's do? Does anyone have a stock h-pipe laying around by any chance?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:52   #6 (permalink)

Listen for scraping, yes. However, good idea:

Get a case of Marvel Mystery Oil. Yes- a case.
Fill up each cylinder through the spark plug socket until it's pouring out (must be through the plug socket, not the exhaust port- a closed valve would not allow it into the cylinders. Hand thread the plugs into place.
Let it sit for 3-4 days.
Mark the crank and somewhere on the engine that doesn't move, as a reference point.
Turn the crank 10% or so (not too much, in case there is rust).
Refill at the spark plug socket, hand thread plugs.
Wait 3-4 days.
Repeat.
Do this until the two marks line up again, indicating a full cycle of the crankshaft. If you want, do it twice.

It takes a good while, but if you do it properly, you'll salvage the engine (in the chance of rus). The Marvel is an amazing product and will break down the rust without any issue, but do leave it for a few days to ensure that it's done its job. Again, fill the cylinder until it pours out. That's the only way to get the most effect.

My Garage
Old 05-31-2006, 06:53   #7 (permalink)

If you go ahead and pull the heads, you can reuse the bolts. However, if you can swing the $25-60, I'd recommend it, just to be on the safe side.

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum