Ford Forums banner

odd antifreeze smell

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  enorym 
#1 ·
A couple days after my last problem, I've noticed that there was like steam (not really steam, it was a cold day) coming from my vent (between the hood and the windshield) on the passengerside but none came from under the hood. The steam smelled alot like antifreeze. On the inside of my windshield, it kept fogging up and when I wiped it off it also smelled at lot like antifreeze. Another thing is, this morning, the heater wouldn't get hot for anything. So what do you guys think is going on?

#3 ·
I found something today, a hole on the firewall looks like a hose should hook to it. It' s like halfway down the firewall and directly above the passenger side exhaust manifold. It's dripping all my antifreeze on the manifold which causes the strong smell and the steam from the outside vent. Is that what the heater core does when it needs replacement?

#4 ·
What you're looking at is the air conditioning condenser vent tube. Your heater core is leaking into the heater box and coming out the vent tube. Your heater core needs replacing and it is a very labor intensive job. Good luck, it's going to be expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.