oil pan change--5.0litre - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2001, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
craig

confused oil pan change--5.0litre

Have '92 5.0 liter with perforated (ie: leaking) oil pan.

Anybody changed one in own garage or backyard-- and how difficult to do?.
(Pan has to go over xmember and slipped out backwards.)

Thanks for some anticipated replies!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2001, 14:56   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Hi craig. I havn't removed an oil pan on one of these models but on most of the other vehicles it wasn't too bad. Usually it required undoing the engine mounts and raising the engine slightly to get clearance. Check as you raise it for engine and accessories clearance and be sure to disconnect battery and any wiring or hoses that might get stretched. Maybe there is someone here that has done one of these.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 14:08   #3 (permalink)
Mark VII Member

After you get the engine mounts loose and jack the engine up and support it safely. Than you have to remove all the pan bolts and drop the pan down. Before you can get the pan out you will have to reach between the pan and engine to remove the oil pump and oil pickup. Besides the2 bolts holding the pump on there is a nut about half way back on the bottom of one of the main bearings that holds the oil pickup. It is a fairly hard job just because there is no to much room to work and you have to squeez your arm in there to get to the pump and pickup. I do not think you can get the engine high enough to remove the pan without removing the pump and pick up first. Of cose when you put it all together you must make sure you get the pump back to the block clean and tight so there is not a leak between them. this is kinda hard to do with your arm stuck in there. You can't see what your doing you have to do it by feel and the only thing I could find that would fit was a open/box end wrench. Which is not good because your spose to torke the pump onto the block but, I just couldn't get enough room to get a torke wrench in there maybe if your young and paitant you may have more luck than I did. I did this job on my 78 Zephyr maybe on your car you can get more room so that you can leave the pump on that would be the way to go if you can make it work. By the time I was through I wished I had jut taken the engine out it wouldn't have been much harder and I could have done a better job of changeing the gaskets. With the engine out I could have changed the rear main seal as well I needed it anyway. See if you can find a Mustang guy in your area he can probley tell you the secret.
84 Mark VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:10   #4 (permalink)
Probe GT Member

i replaced the pan gasket on my 5.0 liter windsor (although access was easier than a stock mustang).

id recommend getting the one piece felpro gasket. remember to follow the directions and install it DRY.

-james
Black94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum