Possible Alternator problem - Need advice!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 20:39   #1 (permalink)

Possible Alternator problem - Need advice!!

I purchased 2005 V6 4.0L Stang a little more than a month ago - used.

All in all it seems in decent condition but I feel I may have an issue with the alternator. When I'm idling the car seems to resist stalling. The RPM's drop to 750 or even 500 for a few seconds every minute or two.
When I am driving at night time I notice that every minute or two the headlights/highbeams will dim for a second or two and my interior fans will slow down as well.
On a few occasions the car has failed to start. It will turn over 2 or 3 times and then go dead but it always starts the second time. This only happens about 1 in 30 times at most.
Additionally, my fuel gauge seems to be a little off as well.

A buddy of mine also suspects the alternator but when it comes to electrical issues it could be a number of things so a few more opinions on the matter would sure help before I decide to take any action. =)

-Strahan
Strahan Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum