Problem with SVO rear disc brake upgrade on 91 Mustang- emergency brake cable problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 19:37   #1 (permalink)
Thing 1

confused Problem with SVO rear disc brake upgrade on 91 Mustang- emergency brake cable problem

I upgraded the rear end on my 91 Mustang GT using 85 Lincoln Continental rear disc brake and all hardware. These are the same as the SVO Mustang. I have all the details worked out and installed except a problem with the emergency brake cables.

I installed Mustang SVO emergency brake cables and connected it up only to find the emergency brake lever will not pull enough cable to tighten them up.

I did keep my existing 91 Mustang short emergency brake cable to the lever that is in the transmission hump.

Is there an adjustment on the emergency brake lever inside the car- or has anyone been through this to provide advice?
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 04:10   #2 (permalink)
Thing 1

Re: Problem with SVO rear disc brake upgrade on 91 Mustang- emergency brake cable pro

Update:

I found out the problem. The E-brake on my car is self adjusting within the handle assmebly and the e-brake front cable is to short and non-adjusting. The SVO had an adjustable cable with no adjusting mechanism in the handle assembly. I found a way to modify my current E-brake work by welding the adjusting mechanism to the 3rd tooth and cutting off the top of the adjuster so the handle will go down all the way. 2nd, I needed an adjusting front brake cable part #FMS-M-2810-A from Summit. You will need to keep your old cable for some of the parts.

You can find a complete procedure here: Index of /tech
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum