question about a transmission - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 15:58   #1 (permalink)

question about a transmission

I have a 98 ford mustang 3.8 v6 the over drive went out in it the other day and my dad's friend has a transmission for a 96 Lincoln continental which had a 302 in it i belive its the AODE. well i have the 4r70w in mine and i was wondering if the lincoln will fit in my mustang cause ive tried to search the web but could not find anything on it thanks
fordracing30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 18:19   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: question about a transmission

"What is the difference between the AODE and the 4R70W?

Mainly the gear ratios and the extension housing bushing and seal diameter."

I know they both have integral bell housings, I guess all you need to do is find one with the right bolt pattern and find\make the right drive shaft.

However: "Which transmission is better, the AOD or the AODE?

The AOD was a good transmission in it's day, but the newer AODE and 4R70W have many improvements. The AODE has a thicker, simpler, and much more reliable valve body that is much less likely to warp than the thinner more complex AOD valve body. The AODEs also all came with the 2 inch wide overdrive band and an A (largest Diameter) Overdrive servo. The input shaft is also much stronger on the AODE than the AOD. Lastly, the AODE has a lockup converter clutch rather than a mechanical, gear dependent lockup. What this means is that with the AODE you can have 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear locked or unlocked. No longer do you have to decide between streetability and performance. You can have your lockup for efficiency, and unlock the converter for better acceleration. The 4R70W offers all of the above benefits with the addition of a lower first and second gear ratio to help initial acceleration. Beginning in 1998, the 4R70W also has the Mechanical Diode intermediate one way clutch, and an even better direct input shaft. Certain models also have hardened gears, such as the 1998 and later 5.4 trucks."

Got this from: AODE and 4R70W Transmission FAQs - Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC They might be able to answer quite a few of your questions. They talk about a similar swap but from a 5.0 to a 4.2, not sure of the different bolt patterns.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum