Shaker hood on 05 GT mustang - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 13:49   #1 (permalink)

Shaker hood on 05 GT mustang

Anyone know of a cold air intake kit that can be used with the shaker hood?
tongy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 03:31   #2 (permalink)
lone_wolf_901

Re: Shaker hood on 05 GT mustang

True shaker hoods are ment for ram air induction. But doesn't mean you can't install a cold air kit though. You just lose the purpose of having a functional shaker hood.
Old 11-16-2006, 18:33   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf_901
True shaker hoods are ment for ram air induction. But doesn't mean you can't install a cold air kit though. You just lose the purpose of having a functional shaker hood.
You don't lose the functionality of a Shaker because its function has been redefined since EFI. They function now as a cold air intake and yes they are functional.

The old Shakers had a flap that opened up (audible click) I believe at 55 MPH and allowed a direct air shot into the carburator as the car accelerated above 55 MPH.

The new Shakers will begin pressurizing the cold air box at 70 MPH with a cold air charge which then begins a cyclic flow as the air in the airbox begins to get sucked into the intake to be read by the MAF meter.

So they function but in a different way due to the EFI.
Vista Blue GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 18:37   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongy89
Anyone know of a cold air intake kit that can be used with the shaker hood?
Any cold air kit can be used. All of them usually cause you to have to modify the cold air box since the Shakers are made to really be used with the stock air intake.

Its not hard by any means. I have the BBK kit with my Shaker on my 2006 GT Mustang. I have also seen the K&N and C&L kits in use with the Shaker setup as well.
Old 11-29-2006, 16:02   #5 (permalink)

I'm thinking of getting the C&L, then getting a dyno, hopefully ill notice some gains.
Old 12-01-2006, 16:30   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting the C&L, then getting a dyno, hopefully ill notice some gains.
The C&L will produce gains that are noticeable. But you should get a tune once you put the C&L on so that you can reap the full benefits of the CAI and protect the engine from going too lean.

Don't just throw stuff onto the car because you read about it somewhere. Most manufacturers of mods will say you will make this HP or that HP. In reality each car reacts differently. On average you might make it near the claimed gains. However, sequentially slapping on mods does NOT mean that the sum total gains = the sum of each individual mod's gain. Each mod you put onto the car may impact a previous mod.

For example a cold-air kit may deliver 6-8 RWHP when you place it on an otherwise stock car. Adding a better free-flowing exhaust may allow the CAI to make an additional 6 to 10 RWHP. Swapping out an H-Pipe for an X-Pipe may gain you some more HP at the high end but you may loose some low end torque. Then putting a tune to the car to get the A/F ratio right may provide more HP and TQ gains or it may cause the car to lose a little. It all depends on the individual car's reaction to the mods being done.

There is plenty of info out there on the WEB to understand what mods work and which don't, what order based on bang on the buck, what ones work in conjunction with other mods, and what to expect by way of actual performance gains.

One other thing...if you intend to get a Shaker there is no way to actually test for gains from the Shaker setup on the dyno because the Shaker's function in today's day and age is really an additional way to direct cooler air to the intake. Any pressurizing of the air box that may occur by the Shaker only happens at speeds of 70 MPH or greater...that condition just cannot be duplicated on the dyno since the car is just sitting there on rollers.

Take your time, spend your money and have fun!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:46   #7 (permalink)

thanks for all the info!!

I got a diablosport tuner, off road x-pipe with the borla exhaust and then the shaker hood. Before summer ill be getting new underdrive pulley's and the C&L intake, then gonna put it onto the dyno. Everything should work together for the best gains. Anything thing else you think i should get before putting onto the dyno?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks for all the info!!

I got a diablosport tuner, off road x-pipe with the borla exhaust and then the shaker hood. Before summer ill be getting new underdrive pulley's and the C&L intake, then gonna put it onto the dyno. Everything should work together for the best gains. Anything thing else you think i should get before putting onto the dyno?
With the mods you stated and the ones you are anticipating (underdrives and C&L intake) it should put you at around 300 RWHP and 316 RWTQ. I base this on my setup which is identical to yours including the underdrives. However I have the BBK intake whereas you are getting the C&L intake.

I think the C&L intake has a larger diameter MAF portion whereas the BBK is stock size diameter. As a result of the C&L's larger MAF I would anticipate then the C&L to be more tunable and perhaps make more HP than the BBK. So your HP and TQ numbers may get to be a little higher than mine but you should a least make the numbers stated above at a minimum.

Now on the highway and at wide-open-throttle the Shaker should provide the cooler air. Using my Hypertech Hyperpac I has registered about 8-10
HP anf TQ more than my dyno runs. I attribute this to the Shaker because before having the Shaker my Hyperpac readings were nearly identical to my dyno pull readings +/- 2 HP and TQ. And it has been consistent across a half-dozen Hyperpac runs I have done.

When you get everything done let me know what you pull on the dyno. I'd be interested in knowing the possible difference the C&L makes over my BBK intake.

One other thing...with the C&L intake you may have to enlarge the opening in the Shaker shroud so that the C&L can reach into its attachment to the throttlebody. I will try to send you an image through PM of a shot of my setup. You can see then how I have enlarged the Shaker shroud hole.

Keep me posted !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum