a shock poll - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2001, 09:09   #1 (permalink)
Taurus Member

a shock poll

I need to replace a worn shock. I was thinking of replacing them with edelbrock shocks. What do you guys recommend? Does it make a difference in putting in a higher performance shock in classic cars?
kidtaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2001, 09:52   #2 (permalink)
mfp4073

I have been using discount auto parts Monroes and Gabrial shocks.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:51   #3 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Smile

Shock selection depends on several factors. For example, when I put Michelin "X" radial tires on my ragtop and replaced the standard shocks with Monroes designed for radials. Bias-ply tires don't require anything but the standard rated shock. If you are looking to firm up the ride of the car, an adjustable shock might be considered. Air shock are also an option but I DON"T recommend them as a substitute for good springs.

Any of the standard national brands should give good service and if you are keeping your car basically stock, a common replacement shock would be satisfactory.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 13:53   #4 (permalink)
Classic Mustang Member

The air shocks remind me of one of those Mustang legends (such as urban legend) about keeping the shocks pumped up so it would miss a couple of grade "A" wide tires sticking out (or close to) below. Seems after some time "stress cracks" formed around the top post, or stud, of the shock. Well you can guess the rest of the story. Thump, thump, zing!

Anyway, to hit the hiways and byways I go with KYB GR-2 for that smooth ride. If you needed something that will control the cornering a little better then go KYB "Gas-A-Just".

(Q) Will a "high performance" shock it make a difference?
(A) Some, if you remove an used moderately good shock to be replaced. A big difference if your car has been riding around for some time on one or more worn shock(s).

68 Mustang Coupe...My Show Car. ............................
ZoNiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 14:08   #5 (permalink)
cougar/bulletbird member

cool

i run KYB's on all of my cars. i got in the habit and haven't ever had any trouble and i like to set my cars up to go out and play. hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
86 SVO mustang

<font size=4><a href="http://www.superford.org/registry/profile.php?user=2829"> look at my cars past and present at superford! </A></Font>
hawkrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 05:45   #6 (permalink)
Mod/Vintage Mustang Member

Another vote for KYB's. Not only do they provide an excellent ride, you don't have to shell out a fortune for them. Maybe a little more than the Monroes, which are also good. I think I paid about $30 a shock when I bought my last pair earlier this year.
Old 12-04-2001, 19:06   #7 (permalink)
Taurus Member

I plan to lower my car about 1" all around and I don't want to bounce like those imports. Will the gas-a-just do? By the way how much are they?
Old 12-05-2001, 05:48   #8 (permalink)
Mod/Vintage Mustang Member

They shouldn't bounce. They give a nice ride. Like I said, you should be able to pick them up for about $30 each.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:07   #9 (permalink)
Taurus Member

I guess I will go with KYBs. Thanks for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum