Shouild I buy this car?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 15:53   #1 (permalink)

Question Shouild I buy this car??

Hello!

I've owned a Ford truck before, but never a Mustang. I have a few fears. If anyone could offer some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

One: This 95/96/97? [I'll know more later] Mustang... It's a rear wheel drive? I've heard horror stories about rear-wheel drives in the snow. Whole lot of truth to that..? Or could I throw some bags of salt in the back for weight or get snow tires put on to lessen the likliehood of sliding?

Two: [..and this one is going to sound crazy] It's a convertible, and that scares me a little. Are they dangerous? Are rollbars easy to have installed??
Because I think that would make me feel better..?

Again, any advice would be appreciated. I really need a new (to me) car ASAP and this one kind of fell into my lap. I really don't know much about Mustangs, but I think I've come to the right place to learn!!

Thanks!
Lynnia74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 13:27   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Shouild I buy this car??

1) Mustangs are rear wheel drive and they SUCK in the snow even with snow tires and weight.

2) Convertibles are only dangerous when upside-down.

They are pretty reliable cars though!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 00:59   #3 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Shouild I buy this car??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet Man
1) Mustangs are rear wheel drive and they SUCK in the snow even with snow tires and weight.

2) Convertibles are only dangerous when upside-down.

They are pretty reliable cars though!
If you have traction problems I would be surprised but you might think about smow tyres for the winter ?
Unless you have considered flipping the car being convertable wont be a problem , and of course will you be driving in the snaw with the top down ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:48   #4 (permalink)

Never buy a Mustang to drive on snow, especially below 1999 (with no traction control). Even on wet, I would recommend to go with a good tire (check from The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels ; compare the wet traction between the tires).

A coupe is propably more safer than a convertable (usually independent from car vendor / model). But the risk is more related how you go fast or drive crazy.

For me, great car to buy!

AED71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:56   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys!
I really don't know if I should skip this car or not... I'm not a fan of driving in the winter in the first place, and Detroit gets some pretty crappy ones. :( But it DOES seem like a good deal and I need a dependable car.

So... 2 of you say 'Mustang+snow=bad' and 1 says 'surprised if not good in snow.' :)

[... one of which asked iif I'd be driving in the snow w/the top down? Uhm, no.]

BUT as far as convertibles being dangerous when they're upside down- I'm worried that Mustang+Snow could=upside down. LOL!
Old 08-05-2006, 12:06   #6 (permalink)

Oh! ..and I'm not a crazy driver. I've just never owned a car with no roof before.

It has 140,000 miles on it, some front fender/quarter panel damage, and is 2 grand. It's a 97.

One more question, please and thank you!: Could it really be any worse than driving a Ford Ranger w/a lightweight back end?? That thing wasn't the greatest in snow, either.
Old 08-05-2006, 16:15   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnia74
Oh! ..and I'm not a crazy driver. I've just never owned a car with no roof before.

It has 140,000 miles on it, some front fender/quarter panel damage, and is 2 grand. It's a 97.

One more question, please and thank you!: Could it really be any worse than driving a Ford Ranger w/a lightweight back end?? That thing wasn't the greatest in snow, either.
Buy it , couple of years and it should be worth more ? ( engine dependant)
I have a lot of rwd cars in the snow and with a driving style adjustment had great success... anyway for 2k it will be fun in the sun with the top down.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 14:55   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Shouild I buy this car??

Thanks!

I think I will!

You're right... I can learn to 'know' the car and what it can and can't do.. and you're also right about the fun w/the top down. [though I think I'd enjoy it more at night]

I am confused about the 'worth more' bit, though. Really? A '97?

I'm still looking for info on rollbars.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:12   #9 (permalink)
lone_wolf_901

To answer your question on the roll bars. Depending of the size tubing and how many points you roll cage will have determines the price. But remember roll cages aren't something you can install and remove when you don't want them. The cage is permanent fixture to your car's frame and body. Plus I think they would get in the way of your night sky view when the top is down. Plus keep in mind that Ford did reinforce the body of the car because it is a convertable but only when the top is up. When down. I suggest wear your seat belt. But with a little good news. Unless you take drives in the mountains or around big hills w/ steep cliffs. You don't have to much to worry about the car flipping over. Also, one last thing. Please keep in mind that convertables require special maitance about twice a year. Usally best to due it before winter (when you leave the top up for long periods of time) and right before summer (when you will be opperating the top more often) Oh yeah, how are the weather seals around the windshield and all four windows? If they are black w/o any hint of white around edges they are good to go. White or discoloration in the black rubber could me worn spots that could end up leaking. Thought you should know.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum