solenoid clicks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2004, 07:07   #1 (permalink)

solenoid clicks

I am working on my bosses '88 ford mustanf 2.3L. I already replace the starter, solenoid and a ned power wire from the solenoid to the starter. now the solenoid just clicks. The lights inside the car dim. Car hasen't turned over for 6 months. I'm out of Ideas can some one give me some more.
holidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2004, 20:37   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: solenoid clicks

I am guessing that you have a good sound battery that you are using. Are the lights dim all the time or just when trying to crank the engine. Make sure the engine will actually turn over too by putting a spanner on the front crankshaft pulley and turning it over. Be sure the ignition is off before trying this as you don't want it to fire up while you are hand cranking it. If the engine is free to turn over then it most likely is the battery or the starter. Check that all the battery wires including the earth or ground straps are tight ,clean and secured correctly at both the battery end and the starter and engine/ground end.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:19   #3 (permalink)

cool Re: solenoid clicks

Thanks for the info. Last night i trid to turn it over and i coulden't. Do you have any easy way to break it loose w/ out rebuilding the whole engine. My guess is that the pistons rusted in the cylinder or bearings spun badly. its only a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine so i woulden't think it word be that hard to break loose but thats my thinking. If you could give me some more help i would appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:41   #4 (permalink)

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Old 10-28-2004, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Ok that doesn't sound so good. Is the car an auto trans or manual trans. Was it running when it was last used or was there some engine problem. This is a worry because there are a number of other components in the engine that can seize as well such as the valve stems if there has been a lot of moisture. First of all take out the spark plugs then try to put some lubrication through the spark plug holes into the bores such as a very light oil or maybe CRC or WD40. Leave this for a while and then try to turn the engine over by hand using the spanner on the front pulley again but with the spark plugs left out of the engine. You may also need to remove the rocker cover and put lubrication around the valve stems if you can access them. You may need to do this a few times to free it up.

A warning though that if the rings have seized quite badly to the bore and pitted the bore then even if you get the engine running again , it may still need to be reconditioned to give good service as the bore will be damaged. There is also the possibility of a ring breaking.

Good luck and I hope you manage to get it to turn over freely by hand first then it should crank with the starter.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:16   #6 (permalink)

Thanks i haven't thought of putting oil down the cylinder. From what my boss told me he went to go drive it one day and it didn't work. The engine is a OHC so i really don't feel like going through the hassle of taking all that off cuz that would be a bitch. when i took the #2 spark plug out it was all corroded and had some oil and maybe water on it so the possibility of rust is a great concern on it. I'm worried about damaging it because if i fail to get it started he is going to trash it. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-29-2004, 14:32   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

You may have to leave the oil to soak in the bores for a while to free it up. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum