Ford Forums banner

Steering for 71-73

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ian351c 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 1973 Mach 1 that is in need of some steering work. It has power steering... It's fairly sloppy on the road because the wheels doesn't react until I've turned the steering wheel about 20 degrees from center. Since I don't know much about steering, I think it's a good time to ask for advice... ;-)

Ideally, I would like to convert to manual steering, but those part are VERY hard to come by for a 71-73, if anyone knows of a source for this conversion, that would be cool.

Another alternative is rack and pinion. I've been in contact with Total Control and they say it should work in mycar, but no they don't officialy support it and it would require welding (which I'm not so experienced at).

The third choice is to troubleshoot, idagnose, and fix the existing system. This is lmy last choice because the P/S unit for this car gives very little road feedback, and I would rather have somethng more responsve.

Any ideas?

Ian

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.