Sticky First gear..Help!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 15:17   #1 (permalink)

frown Sticky First gear..Help!!!!

This has to be elementary. My 06' mustang is awesome! But I seem to have a shift problem from 1st to 2nd. I have never owned a car that had an automatic trans. I have been driving for 26 yrs. It's driving me nuts! ha. ha. Every other gear shift is a thing of beauty. Sometimes I will get a smooth shift. I notice it shifts smooth at a low rpm or a high rpm. If I try to raise the rpms slowly It will stick when I shift. Maybe I don't drop off the gas quick enough. People tell me that first is just to get you rollin, and you don't have to redline first, but there have been times when I would kinda stomp the gas and she would shift beautifully. I guess I'm not use to the power of this car. I been driving 4 cyl. cars for a long time. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks a bunch.
jay's stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2006, 21:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Sticky First gear..Help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay's stang
This has to be elementary. My 06' mustang is awesome! But I seem to have a shift problem from 1st to 2nd. I have never owned a car that had an automatic trans. I have been driving for 26 yrs. It's driving me nuts! ha. ha. Every other gear shift is a thing of beauty. Sometimes I will get a smooth shift. I notice it shifts smooth at a low rpm or a high rpm. If I try to raise the rpms slowly It will stick when I shift. Maybe I don't drop off the gas quick enough. People tell me that first is just to get you rollin, and you don't have to redline first, but there have been times when I would kinda stomp the gas and she would shift beautifully. I guess I'm not use to the power of this car. I been driving 4 cyl. cars for a long time. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks a bunch.
More information , explain "stick"
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 20:28   #3 (permalink)

Hi atec77, to explain 'stick' well, as soon as I start to press or lets say touch the clutch pedal I hear and feel it kinda stick like a clunck so to speak.I've tried alot of different approaches, for example, dropping off the gas a little earlier before pushing in the clutch, pushing off the gas. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to frustate the hell out of me. ha, ha. Maybe I'm pushing the clutch pedal to hard. And it only happens shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. More so when I raise the rpms slow. Maybe I don't raise the rpms high enough? I don't know,what do think? Thanks......
Old 09-21-2006, 06:46   #4 (permalink)

Does it come out of gear easily? If it only does it when you raise the RPMs slowly, just run the piss out of it 24/7. Problem solved.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:42   #5 (permalink)

Well, it happened to me once or twice and lately after several sticks I found out the problem and it was because of the clutch cable, it was damaged / scratched, and this cable has a coat of protection if the coat is damaged or scratched you will find difficulties of pushing the clutch pedal and shifting form to another.

Normally using a manual transmission you can shift without pushing the clutch pedal if you raise the RPM slowly as you said you can shift easily from 1st to 2nd, 3rd etc...

So I prefer you check out your clutch cable and please let's know what the salutation that solved your problem is.

Regards,

Sam
SamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 17:12   #6 (permalink)

hi samz. been a while since i've logged on. thanks for your input on this issue. if it would happen all the time then common sense would tell me there is true machanical problem. that dam clutch is so touchy only from 1st to 2nd. i've been getting smoother shifts lately. maybe parts a starting to get worn in. again, thanks for your input. take care jay's stang.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
lone_wolf_901

Lightbulb Re: Sticky First gear..Help!!!!

[FONT="Century Gothic"]Jay if you are still having a sticky shift problem then I would suggest to have your hydraulic clutch bled. Cause an small air bubble in your hydraulic clutch line could be a causing factor to it sticking only sometimes and not all the time. Let me know if this helps. Also, you can do it yourself with the help of a friend. Its kinda like bleeding brake lines. But if you don't have to much experience with this procedure get a mechanics manual or go online and print it up step by step. I'm pretty sure you can find the procedure with google/ask.com. [/FONT
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum