Tire Recommendation for GT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 13:26   #1 (permalink)

Tire Recommendation for GT

Hi everybody,

I'm planning to buy tire for my 97 GT. In fact there was a topic about tires that I have started a few months ago, but this one is for brand selection. In fact I did an extensive investigation and want to share with you and get your feedbacks.

I don't know if you have heard about www.tirerack.com web page. It's a fanatstic web for tire comperison. I mainly used this page and tire vendor's pages.

The reason why I am so interested in selection of the best tire is about a small heartattack in a rainy day on the highway with only 35mph. I decided to buy the best tire with wet traction since my 97 GT doesn't have any traction control. I know that there is something like traction-lok axle but didn't help me in the wet surface, probably something related with start-up on slippery roads.

Anyhow, for wet,hydro and dry performance Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 has the best results in the tires available in their database. The second and the third is Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Pos and Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A respectively.

I also search for the cheapest ones (but not the worst), and I found Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. The wet and hydro values are not as good as Goodyear GS-D3 but not bad at all. The price is %50 less. Kumho is also using slica compound which many of the manifacturers (like Michelin) has just started to use. I heard that it enables more grip.

Here are the results of two tires:
Dry Wet Hydro Cornering Steering Ride Noise Tread
trac trac trac Stability Response Comfort Comfort Wear
---- ---- ----- --------- --------- -------- ------- -----
GS-D3 9.3 9.2 9.1 9.1 9.1 8.5 8.5 8.5
712 8.4 8.0 8.1 8.1 8.1 8.1 7.5 7.5

As a conclusion Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 is best for price, Goodyear GS-D3 is the best results of all. I start thinking how feasible to pay to Goodyear and do these differences between the results is worth to pay double?

I think I will go for Goodyear at least for rear. But has anyone have an idea what will kind of problems will I face when I use goodyear at rear and Kumho in front?

Has anybody tested Kumho 712 in wet and hydro?

Has anybody heard or used products like tire-grip? (http://www.tiregrip.com/) Can I have same or even better results with Kumho and tire-grip? (even in snow)

My rim is 16, (225 50 R16)

Many thanks in advance
All the best

Last edited by AED71; 09-09-2003 at 13:31. Reason: Sorry for the table, I couldn't manage to fix it
AED71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum