Which Transmission to use in a 67 Mustang / 302 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 13:38   #1 (permalink)

Which Transmission to use in a 67 Mustang / 302

We've got a 67 Mustang with a 302 and an AOD transmission. Is this transmission worth running in this car, or is a C4 a better option? We don't really need the overdrive and would rather a have a more stout transmission.

Also, if we go with a C4, is the shift linkage different on these, depending on what they come out of? Or do all C4's have the same shift linkage?
abusedtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 14:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Which Transmission to use in a 67 Mustang / 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by abusedtrucks
We've got a 67 Mustang with a 302 and an AOD transmission. Is this transmission worth running in this car, or is a C4 a better option? We don't really need the overdrive and would rather a have a more stout transmission.

Also, if we go with a C4, is the shift linkage different on these, depending on what they come out of? Or do all C4's have the same shift linkage?
If it already has an AOD, keep it. The AOD has closer gears, so you'll get better performance and the overdrive is nice to have for when you do end up taking it on the highway. Your combo is not stock, so I'd say the person who installed it knew what he was doing with the AOD. It's a great transmission and I've seen them hold 400hp with a shift kit ($90 for a Transgo kit on eBay). They're easy to install and greatly improve the life of the transmission, as well as the performance. It does provide a firmer shift, but it's more that it makes the shift noticeable as opposed to uncomfortable. I prefer the feel of the shift kit, as I don't like the "sloppy" feeling of stock transmissions shifting.

So, yes- keep the AOD and put a shift kit and you'll be good to go. Parts are more expensive for the AOD, but that's because they're so much better.
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:32   #3 (permalink)

The car looks like it had a great start getting put together, then in the last week was slammed together really quick so he could sell it. We bought it off the internet, site unseen. It was exactly the car we were looking for, so it didn't much matter at the time. But now, we're tying up all of the loose ends with it.

One thing with this tranny is that he never put a tv cable on it. I've been trying to find one to fit it, but according to the tranny shop, it's much more easily said then done. They said they'd need to make up some brackets for it and it would run about $300. $300 just to hook up a cable? Is there any way to find out which one we need?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:50   #4 (permalink)

What type of carburetor are you running? Go to www.summitracing.com and find their "Contact Us" section. You can ask them what they have- I'm pretty sure Lokar makes a kit for the stock carburetor to an AOD, but I'm not positive and I don't know your carb, so I can't offer too much good advice. Let me know that and I can make a phone call or two and see what I can find.

My Garage
Old 09-21-2005, 23:08   #5 (permalink)

It's just a stock 2bbl carb. Not sure of the part number. I'll have to get that tomorrow. I'll check out summitracing and see what they say about it.

Thanks a ton for the help.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:00   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abusedtrucks
It's just a stock 2bbl carb. Not sure of the part number. I'll have to get that tomorrow. I'll check out summitracing and see what they say about it.

Thanks a ton for the help.
Any time. That shift kit I told you about is part# TRG-AOD from Summit Racing. It's $120, but if you want to save a few bucks, go to the Murphy Automotive store inside eBay and run a search in the store for AOD. He sells both the Transgo kit and an AOD service manual. I'd recommend the manual, just to get a better understanding of your transmission as you're installing the shift kit. He also sells TV cable correctors- he may be able to help you out on a replacement. If he can't, I have a local friend who owns a Mustang shop- I can most likely get an original piece and ship it to you. Just let me know if there's anything I can do.

My Garage
Old 09-25-2005, 17:42   #7 (permalink)

The part number on the new carb is D70E NA and it's a motorcraft. If you could have your buddy with the shop get us the parts we need, that would be awesome. Then just let us know what we owe you for your help.
Old 09-25-2005, 17:47   #8 (permalink)

Actually, maybe you should talk to him directly. Sent you a PM with the details.

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum