The unichip debate...lets get I6 specific - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2004, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
BOFH

The unichip debate...lets get I6 specific

Well, I've seen a huge amount of discussion/debate about the unichip vs edits etc on the LS1's, the boss engines and the XR6-t's however there has been very little to go on for the EEC-V and the I6's in general.
Now, first up, I'd like to keep this thread only about the I6's and EEC-V please. If it's about what the unichip does or doesnt do on the Boss engine, the LS1 or the turbo it really has no bearing on this topic. They are completely different engines.
What I want to know is what peoples experiances are with the unichip on a NA I6? Does anyone actually have one fitted to an I6? Dyno's are all well and good but what sort of 1/4 time improvements have been seen by fitting a unichip. More imprtantly (as WOT is just 1 measurement) what about general driving at part throttle gains? There are so amny questions that have been left unanswered for the I6 that it is impossible to tell if the unichip would be worth the $1400 or so to have it fitted and tuned. Hell, I'll offer my dead stock XR6 as a test bed if it requires it just to prove if it works or not.

Basically, I want something that will allow my car to be tuned right through the rev range not just at WOT. I would also like to see proof that it will work on an I6. Not too much to ask is it?
With all the mods happening to the AU's now (not to mention the E series cars) I have no doubt that MANY MANY people will be interested in the outcome. I know I'd like to see something written up on aufalcon.com if any conclusive proof can be shown. As aufalcon.com admin I'll write the article myself based on the FACTS, not heresay, not speculation but the FACTS.

So, who's going to start?

Note: I will not let this turn into a flame fest. If any posts that head that way I WILL have a mod edit or delete the post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2004, 00:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: The unichip debate...lets get I6 specific

What about EEC IV ?
i know of a few ppl with unichips in their EA's...
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
Old 06-13-2004, 00:59   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Lets keep this in the i6 specific forum
Old 06-13-2004, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
What about EEC IV ?
i know of a few ppl with unichips in their EA's...
No problem with that but I still want to know more about EEC-V too. But its a start.

Either way, whatever comes out of this thread will make a VERY nice article on aufalcon.com for all to see. Good or bad, I have no site sponsers to worry about offending, I'll write it as I see it.

Old 06-13-2004, 01:02   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT
Lets keep this in the i6 specific forum
John, if oyu think this is better in the I6 formum please feel free to move it. I'm not fussed where it is, I'd just like to see answers to the questions.

Old 06-13-2004, 02:25   #6 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Casper my brother would like to have one fitted shortly, so some info on this would be great, they say you judge how good the chip and tune is by the increase in your MPH..
before fitting a chip i would do all your mods because every time you do a mod you should get a new tune, re:you are changing the way your car performs...

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Old 06-13-2004, 02:27   #7 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Actually just moved it to the new ECU forum.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:31   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Casper my brother would like to have one fitted shortly, so some info on this would be great, they say you judge how good the chip and tune is by the increase in your MPH..
before fitting a chip i would do all your mods because every time you do a mod you should get a new tune, re:you are changing the way your car performs...
In some ways MPH is a good guage but for 95% of the time my car is never at WOT so I would like to know how it performs under normal conditions.
Also, I offered my car simply because a) its there and b) I know it is dead stock so it has no other mods that will affect the outcome of the results.
I dont expect them to take the offer up (and I certainly wouldnt buy one without the proof I'm asking for) but considering that FF has hundreds of I6 owners all looking to increase power and most with a proven record of spending the money required, I would think that aps would be interested in this thread.
As for I6's with unichips, I know of none at the moment.

Old 06-13-2004, 07:36   #9 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Casper, I have no facts or figures to help you out here - but i do have seat of the pants meter. i drove an NC Fairlane Sportsman that was Unichipped - it also had extractors and a bit of port work done to the head. The owner of the car had PowerChip, but he was very unhappy with it - in fact so unhappy that he took them to court and won and got a full refund! Anyway, I am digressing a bit, so back to UniChip. When he got the Unichip fitted, the dyno showed around 12rwkw improvement. The last dyno he got was around the 135rwkw mark. I drove this car to the FPV day 2 years ago. On the higway, the thing was as smooth as....the proverbial. Accelaration was as good as, if not better than, my XR6. Throttle response was instant, either when flooring it, or when just increasing the thottle a little bit. That driving experience actually sold me UniChip as aproduct - but the 'Boss' (sorry to mention bosses when you specifically said not to, lol) wouldn't let me spend the $1300-odd to get one fitted and tuned. One day, i will get one of these chips - probably with the turbo package for the wagon.

Anyway, as I said, no objective facts or figures for you, just subjective measurement - but I swear, that Fairlane was great to drive. How much of that driveabaility was due to the ported head/extractors and how much was due to the unichip i don't know, but the unichip was certainly not detrimental to performance. The only 'downside' was that it had to run on premium unleaded - though you can use normal, but it will ping at WOT.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
Old 06-13-2004, 07:42   #10 (permalink)

Spoke to Unichip agent in Adelaide about 2years ago and he advised against fitting a Unichip as there would be no benefit on a stock engine.APS claimed there would be good benefits via e-mail reply but would not supply a Unichip on a trial basis.I went with the agents advise and did not get one fitted.Not much to go on but its a start.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum