What Brand of Oil Filter Do You Use? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2001, 06:11   #1 (permalink)
Classic Mustang Member

What Brand of Oil Filter Do You Use?

What is your preference and why?

I use the Pure One from Purolator. Suppose to filter 96% contanminates and allow no "bleed back" after shutting off the engine.

68 Mustang Coupe...My Show Car. ............................
ZoNiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2001, 08:05   #2 (permalink)
mfp4073

I alternate back an forth between the ford racing filter and reg puralator. I don't worry too much about it. Basically oil is oil and filter is filter (as long as its not an off company using recycled coffee filters)! Whats this bleed back stuff??
Old 11-29-2001, 08:10   #3 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Smile

Oil filter ratings are a matter of intense conjecture. There is a well documented study somewhere on the Web that severely pans Fram, Champ, Pennzoil and other "low-end" filters. The study praises Wix (aka NAPA Gold) and several other more expensive filters. The simple reality is that many different brand name filters are made by the same manufacturer, like Allied Signal, using the same technology. In summary it could be said: "Cheap ain't good, and good ain't cheap."

That being said, I've used Fram filters for years and have never had a problem. I've run several of my Fords to nearly 200K miles with never and engine problem. The key in my mind is the FREQUENCY of oil changes. I religously change the oil and the filter at 3K. I actually enjoy getting under the car because I also check other things while I'm under there.

If you don't like frequent oil changes and want to go long miles in-between, go with a more expensive filter like a NAPA Gold 1515 made by Wix. I seriously doubt wheter the new more exotic filters, like K&N, are worth the money. There is a lot of hype and misinformation floating around regarding the subject, much of it motivated by marketing considerations.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 08:13   #4 (permalink)
mfp4073

I have to agree, its more important to change your oil and filter regularly than use the expensive stuff. (embarrassed look on my face) of course that does not always mean that I do that like I should.....
Old 11-29-2001, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Mod/Vintage Mustang Member

I have been using Fram Sure Grip. They seem to get the job done.
Old 11-29-2001, 15:04   #6 (permalink)
Classic Mustang Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mfp4073
Whats this bleed back stuff??
From what I understand, it's the amount of contaminated oil (unfiltered) that gets dumped back into the crankcase from the filter after the engine is turned off and pressure is lost.

I heard a lot of good comments said about Wix & Mobile. I know several club members, in my club, that are real particular about what they run for an oil filter.

On the other hand, some other club members will throw on a "low-end" filter and say "good enough". They'll run that engine for 150,000 miles with no problems. However, I've heard a few "horror stories" about some brands. Just make me wonder .......

Old 11-29-2001, 15:08   #7 (permalink)
Classic Mustang Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDave
There is a well documented study somewhere on the Web that severely pans Fram, Champ, Pennzoil and other "low-end" filters. The study praises Wix (aka NAPA Gold) and several other more expensive filters.
Do you know the address? I would be interested in reading it.

Old 12-02-2001, 08:00   #8 (permalink)
Taurus Member

I also read something on the internet about a study on oil filters. They said that puralotor pure one is one of the best. An interesting note was that motorcraft oil filters were constructed identically to puralotor pure one and cost about 2-3 dollars compared to 5-6 dollars. I use motorcraft almost excluvisely on my cars.
kidtaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 19:32   #9 (permalink)
Mustang Member

Whats this bleed back stuff??

the bleed back stuff is when the oil drains out of the oil filter. the advantage of a filter that dues not bleed of is when you start your engine it will billed oil pressure faster because it dues not have to fill up the filter
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum