What to do to add more MPG..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 09:16   #1 (permalink)

Question What to do to add more MPG.....

right now i drive a 2004 for mustang V6 stick shift..... and i'
m getting about 23 MPG .. i just want to know is there any thing i can do to add just a little bit more and maybe get 25 MPG???
PunkRoc4683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 12:38   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: What to do to add more MPG.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRoc4683
Right now I drive a 2004 Ford Mustang V6 stick shift..... and I'm getting about 23 MPG .. I just want to know is there any thing I can do to add just a little bit more and maybe get 25 MPG???
Cold air intake, freer flowing exhaust, synthetic oil, and no leadfooting, maybe you will get the improvement you're looking for. Try to keep it in 5th gear as long as possible and hold a steady speed. 45-65 MPH is the best speed range to stay in. anything over or under wastes fuel.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 17:18   #3 (permalink)

Re: What to do to add more MPG.....

cool what exhaust do you suggest would be the best for my MPG and a good sound???
PunkRoc4683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 15:20   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRoc4683 View Post
cool what exhaust do you suggest would be the best for my MPG and a good sound???
K&N drop in Filter will help

Reduce weight will also save gas,
There is a Lighter Aluminum Drive Shaft (Rotational weight reduction)
Light weight Rims (Rotational weight reduction)
Jenny Craig :)

Not much more you can do except drive like a Grandma
2k05gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 21:45   #5 (permalink)

Gas grades are controversial. While people complain about "winter gas", "summer gas" is right around the corner for some of us, and then there is "California Re-Formulated Gas". Here in CA, at least according to the broadcast news, "summer gas" is suppose to emit less pollutants, get worst mileage, and subsequently cost the consumer more because we have to pay for more gas to go the same distance. But doesn't "California Re-Formulated Gas" guarantee that we get cleaner gas (crappy gas translating to more detergents + additives and less energy) all year around?

I've seen my tank average rise and fall. It's always a surprise when the next "LOW FUEL" light comes on, and what my MPG computes to. With the ScanGauge II, I've seen daily averages from the low teens, up to the low twenties. We each have too many variables to consider, from gross weight, to driving habits, to driving conditions.

Get rid of your girlfriend and/or wife. The more she weighs, the more gas you save. Not only are you no longer hauling around her big butt, but you save on all those trip distances from all the rides that you are not giving her. See what that will save you in a month. For me: monthly gas - 31 Days(fat ass + pick me up + drive me to) = new car payment. Not to mention the wear & tear she was adding to my old beater's shocks & springs.

KickBoxing - Sport of the Future

<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="90%"><tbody><tr><td>
Using the ScanGauge to save fuel
</td> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>According to the US Federal government, the way you drive can affect fuel economy by up to 33%. See Tips to improve your Gas Mileage.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- / message --><!-- controls -->
Fifty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 21:47   #6 (permalink)

Old 05-18-2008, 21:56   #7 (permalink)

Try this:

Then try this:

Royal Purple Ford Truck World

The Mileage Power Package
—courtesy, fordtruckworld.com

Sources:

Airaid Filter Company
Phoenix, AZ

Magnaflow
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Royal Purple
Porter, TX

Superchips
Sanford, FL

Statistics Box
Owner: Josh Chilson
Year: 2003
Make: Ford
Model: Harley Davidson Supercrew
Engine: 5.4 liter Supercharged
Transmission: Automatic
Drive: 2wd
Performance Mods / MPG

Royal Purple
Engine: Royal Purple Motor Oil 5W30
Transmission: Max ATF
Differential: 75W90 Max-Gear

Airaid Filter Company
Intake: AIRAID Cold Air Intake (QF series)

Superchips
Programmer: Max MicroTuner Ford

Magnaflow
Exhaust: Dual Exhaust System
Final Stats

MPG Before: 14.8
MPG After: 18.9
% Increase: 24.3%
Old 05-18-2008, 21:58   #8 (permalink)

Don’t Want To Give Up Your Truck But Need to Decrease Your Fuel Bill Along with Increasing Horsepower?

Everywhere you turn these days, people’s conversations seem to be all about the same thing; rising gas costs and trying to increase their MPG (miles per gallon). As the oil tycoons continue lining their pockets from record profits, many people are being forced into purchasing smaller vehicles and / or driving less just to have money to put food on the table. Many of us in the industry have been discussing how to increase our MPG not only because we love our trucks and don’t want to drive anything else, but we feel we shouldn’t have to get a second job to afford them. So, we decided to put together an article highlighting some of the options available to increase the fuel economy of a truck. The upside to having too many of these products are increased horsepower and who wouldn’t want that?
When determining how to test our MPG gains, we figured the best way to illustrate that you don’t have to give up anything to increase the MPG of your truck was to use a mild performance truck such as a 2003 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Harley Davidson edition. This truck has the 5.4 liter supercharged engine similar to the Lightning and the interior space large enough to fit the family. The baseline highway miles per gallon, conducted in Southern California, is 14.8. Keep in mind the baseline MPG may be different in different parts of the country, but the percentage of increases should be about the same no matter where you live.
We started with one of the biggest maintenance items that is commonly overlooked; tire pressure. According to The U.S. Energy Department, “under-inflated tires can actually increase fuel consumption by up to 6 percent”. To put this into perspective; a vehicle getting 18 miles per gallon (obviously not ours) with under-inflated tires would probably be getting 19.08 MPG with properly inflated tires. Driving 12,000 miles per year, you can save roughly 35 gallons of gas or about $100 per year just by having properly inflated tires. Our test truck recently had the tires rotated and they checked the pressure and adjusted it accordingly. So, we thought we would mention this before we started the testing.
An easy item to change in your truck is the type of oil that you use, so we started there. Premium synthetics like Royal Purple claim that they will actually allow the engine to run more efficiently, reduce emissions, reduce wear and tear all while increasing horsepower. We decided to test these claims by changing our truck over to Royal Purple Synthetic lubricants. We used Royal Purple Motor Oil 5W30 in the engine, Max ATF in the transmission, and 75W90 Max-Gear in the differential. After everything was changed, we duplicated our MPG testing. The truck had been getting 14.8 MPG and after the change to Royal Purple, we are now getting 15.9 miles per gallon. That’s a 1.1 mpg increase and an overall 7.4% increase in mpg. Another advantage of switching to Royal Purple is oil change intervals are extended to 12,000 miles. This offsets the additional cost of using higher quality, more expensive synthetics in your truck.
After checking the tires and changing the oil (both of which should be regular occurrences) we started looking at more permanent changes. Adding a cold air intake can be an easy bolt on addition. Due to OEM regulations, many factory intakes are restrictive. When changing to a cold air intake, the engine is not only able to breathe more freely, but the air that is ingested into the engine, is cooler. The cooler air is one of the biggest reasons for an increase in horsepower and fuel economy. Now our intake is pretty good considering the engine is a supercharged performance engine from the factory, but to illustrate the increase a quality aftermarket intake can offer, we switched to an AIRAID Cold Air Intake and repeated our testing. The truck is now getting 16.1 mpg. That’s a .2 mpg increase bringing our overall total increase of mpg up to 8.5%. On a conventional truck, not a supercharged engine, we would expect the increase to be higher.
A common change many truck guys make is reprogramming or chiping their rides. Manufacturers claim between 45 to 200 horsepower increases (depending on the engine and programmer) and a big mileage increase as well. We decided to take Superchips up on the offer to test their Max MicroTuner Ford programmer. By simply plugging their programmer into the factory plug and following the on-screen directions we reprogrammed our truck. The whole process took about 10 minutes and was very simple. We then hit the road and drove around for a few hours. We couldn’t just conduct our testing because of the excitement from the power increase. When we finally got it out of our system, we took the truck back on the highway and received 17.5 miles to the gallon. This is an increase of 1.4 MPG for an overall increase of 17.3% with the Royal Purple Motor Oil, AIRAID Cold Air Intake and the Superchips Max MicroTuner Ford programmer.
Finally, we changed the exhaust out. Now you generally hear exhaust manufacturers claim increased horsepower, and not mention anything about mileage increases. Thinking about it, anything that helps the engine breathe and exhale should also increase the efficiency of the engine, thus increasing the MPG. So we contacted the folks at Magnaflow and talked to them about our theory. They said the hard part of testing fuel economy is people’s driving styles. While the increase is there, it is hard for people to stay out of the throttle and not enjoy the beautiful new tune their truck plays.
We changed our exhaust from the catalytic converter back. (Note: This installation was a little challenging since we had to cut our old system out.) The MAGNAFLOW CAT PERFORMANCE EXHAUST SYSTEM was a bolt on system that anyone with time and patience can install unlike many weld-on systems. We felt an immediate increase in power and raced over to the gas station before the onramp. Filled up and hit the highway for the final test. After running 300+ miles we ended up with a final MPG rating of 18.4. That’s a 24.3% increase overall with all of the items we tested.
With just these simple additions we were able to save an average of 3.6 miles per gallon and that means more money in our pocket. We can also keep hitting the streets with our truck without having to worry as much about whether we can afford to or not. So the next time you hear someone complainng about their vehicles’ MPG and needing to trade it in, pipe up and let them know they don’t have to surrender to the smaller vehicles, there are alternatives, you just have to look.
Old 05-18-2008, 21:58   #9 (permalink)

My F150 is a 2007 4.2L V6.

I've got an Airaid Cold Air Intake, 40 Series muffler, and 91 Octane Performance Tune by Mike Troyer.

I just got back from a short trip down the 101: 93.7 miles / 3.605 gallons = 25.991678224687933425797503467406 miles per gallon.

That's right. I'm getting 26 MPG in an F150
Old 05-20-2008, 20:15   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRoc4683 View Post
right now i drive a 2004 for mustang V6 stick shift..... and i'
m getting about 23 MPG .. i just want to know is there any thing i can do to add just a little bit more and maybe get 25 MPG???

Umm ... drive slower??? Sorry, I couldn't resist!

You're doing a bit better than me - I have the '04 V6 convertible with a stick and I'm usually right at 20 MPG for a mix of city and highway. No, I can't seem to drive slower, either.

Glenn
gwliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum