What size exhaust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 19:35   #1 (permalink)

Question What size exhaust

Whats up guys!Im new to the site and I finaly got my dream car...95 gt conv.But anyway I was looking to get a catback exhaust and I was wondering what would you guys recomendand what size piping 2.5" or 3".I really like a aggressive sound somthing like the 03' cobra.I am still learning aout my car but I was also woudering would a "x" or "h" pipe help in achieving that mean sound.O'yeah one more question do those also help increase horspower.
8cylponey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 06:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: What size exhaust

You can go dual 2.5" or single 3". If you're planning a lot of modifications (which I wouldn't recommend on a vert), go with the dual 2.5", but if it's going to remain fairly stock, try a single 3". The duals will open up better for future mods, but will hurt your low end torque (especially with all the extra weight of the top frame and motor, not to mention subframe support on the vert). The 3" will provide plenty of power increase for a stock to fairly mild build while allowing enough backpressure to keep the low end torque in place.

DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3". DO NOT GO DUAL 3".

Get the point?

The same thing goes for the X/H pipes. The X-pipe will provide a better scavenging effect for high end performance, while the H-pipe will work better for the low end used in daily driving. If I was to build your exhaust system...

For a mild build (no more than intakes, exhaust, and tuning):
Shorty headers
3" custom Y-pipe exhaust
Summit 3" free-flow catalytic converter
3" chambered muffler

For a more moderate build (cylinder head upgrade or more):
Shorty or Full length headers
Dual 2.5" H-pipe with catalytic converters (matched to headers)
2.5" chambered mufflers

For radical (because I know you're curious):
Long tube headers
Dual 2.5" offroad X-pipe (no cats)
2.5" straight-through mufflers

I WOULD NOT AT ALL RECOMMEND THE RADICAL SET-UP. It would only sound appropriate on a blown car. It would be very loud and not at all comfortable for daily driving, not to mention the lack of low end torque unless you have serious mods.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 14:35   #3 (permalink)

I really apprceiate the help.But for a aggresive sound,which brand exaust will you recommend.My friend has a Mach 1 and he says he only has a catback but wont tell me which kind and you can hear him from like a hundred yard away.Basically I just want to be heard with only a catback and a intalke in the near future.
Old 09-19-2006, 16:15   #4 (permalink)

Why do you want to sound fast if it's not fast? Get a good, stable exhaust that'll last a long time and then upgrade the engine to make it sound the way you want. Otherwise, you're no better than the Civic up the road with a coffee can.

Don't get Flowmaster. They're overrated and overpriced.
I know Magnaflow, BBK, UPR, Hooker, Heddman, and several other companies make quality replacement kits. Also, keep in mind that your 95 only has a pushrod, 2v 225hp engine and his Mach 1 has a DOHC 4v, 300hp engine base.

My Garage
Old 09-19-2006, 17:07   #5 (permalink)

Im not that far from him J.k.I thank you for the information though.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:43   #6 (permalink)

I know the feeling, man. I have similar/better HP numbers (in my wagon) as a '93 Cobra, but it's hard to counter the 400 pound difference.

My Garage
Old 10-04-2006, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
Grumpy old man

You want aggressive? SLP.

GT-40X303 heads, E-cam, 1.6 roller rockers,
Cobra intake, Edelbrock 65mm t/b, 73 mm C&L, CAI,
24 lb injectors, AFPR, 3.73's, March underdrives.

FRPP headers, Bassani catted X, SLP Loudmouth.
This thing is loud!!!

Pony R's with Eagle ZR's, stock AOD.

Cervini's Air Extractor hood
2003 GT seats
Springtime Edition mirrors & wing

ff member 157
wythors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum