wierd sound my friend's car makes.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Mustang Forum This forum is for the discussion of all Ford Mustang models, including the Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Convertible and Ford Mustang Coupe and all older/classic models and submodels.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 22:21   #1 (permalink)

wierd sound my friend's car makes....

my friend has a problem with his mustang 01 heres what he has to say:

its like a light grinding/scractching sound, almost like i'm dragging steel wire under the car or something, only hear it under 40mphish, i thought it'd be somethin w/ the transmission but if i flip it into neutral the sound doesn't change at all, and if it were a problem with the trans. it should change according the the amount of power on the gears right? either way, just got an oil change, trans. fluid checks out, no OBD codes given ('00+ mustangs can be turned onto diagnostic mode to give codes and other info), and the car drives fine. this is annoying the hell outta me.

so, any help at all would be appreciated
JRonq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 22:39   #2 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Re: wierd sound my friend's car makes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRonq
my friend has a problem with his mustang 01 heres what he has to say:

its like a light grinding/scractching sound, almost like i'm dragging steel wire under the car or something, only hear it under 40mphish, i thought it'd be somethin w/ the transmission but if i flip it into neutral the sound doesn't change at all, and if it were a problem with the trans. it should change according the the amount of power on the gears right? either way, just got an oil change, trans. fluid checks out, no OBD codes given ('00+ mustangs can be turned onto diagnostic mode to give codes and other info), and the car drives fine. this is annoying the hell outta me.

so, any help at all would be appreciated
my 2 cents...
jack it up, spin the wheels one at a time- might find something stupid like a small rock in a brake, or if drum rears, maybe a something inside the drum, or even just rust in the water groove...if nothing else maybe if you get it up on stands and have someone spin the tires by hand you might be able to narrow it down a bit from underneath. if you cant hear it(with no weight on tires), maybe check out wheelbearings- my lincoln had a 'whirring' gearlike noise in the rearend, figured just from 140k miles of wear and tear on the gears, but checked bearings when redoing brakes and found bad one- changed them to the 'axle repair' types that moves bearing to unworn part of axle, alls quiet.
one other noise on the lincoln- the abs sensor star wheel rusted enough it was rubbing the sensor- it had a kinda high pitched scraping sound to it...
Old 01-01-2006, 13:44   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: wierd sound my friend's car makes....

I think ford4v429 has the best idea.

It may be a brake pads or a rock in around the brake disc rotor or caliper.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:05   #4 (permalink)

confused Re: wierd sound my friend's car makes....

I am also having this problem too!!!! I have replaced all the brakes all around the car.. replaced brake pads, brake rotors, rear wheel bearings, universal joint, front brake calipers... ive replaced it all and yet the sound is still there!!! i also have a 2001 mustang! this noise is annoying as hell!!! ive had the car up on stands and had a friend put the car in drive and slowly let the wheels spin while i was underneath the car listening and it sound like it is coming from the differential pumpkin thing!! had the differential apart when replacing wheel bearings and all seemed ok inside it!! any other suggestions to what it could be?? also when i had the car off the ground i put it in drive and slowly as i let off the brakes the wheels spun fine but if i let off the brakes completely the rear end makes a weird like clunking sound and the car almost dies but if i apply the brakes just a lil bit it doesnt do this!! only when i completely let off the brakes it does it!!! is this normal or is something wrong??
dashiznit74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Mustang Forum