Ford Forums banner

2.0 SOHC engine blown

10K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  focus2000 
#1 ·
Hi,
i just bought a 2001 SW with blown engine and found that the valve seat on cyl#4 came out and got distributed between few cylinders. There are dingd and dents on 3 pistons but all the speeves loog gud. Obviously there is damage on few valves. Wonder if anyone here had a similar problem in past and will replacing the head only or the full motor is the right option?

BTW I am in Toronto Canada.

Thanks in advance :beerbottl

#2 ·
Welcome! I'm in Kitchener, ON myself. What's the current mileage on the Focus?

Providing the block isn't cracked you could rebuild it. However, with the damage that you mentioned I'd shop around for a replacement engine as a rebuild may not last depending on the extent of the damage. A used engine (junk yard), is the most economical way to go and some do offer warranties (albeit not for very long). A more expensive way to go is ordering from a shop. There are some in Guelph and I'm sure PLENTY in the GTA that specialize in engine rebuilds. A rebuilt engine is close to having a new engine installed in the car. Providing you plan to keep the vehicle, or drive a lot it'll be a worthwhile choice. If you don't drive a lot and the vehicle is showing its age and you plan to sell it before the end of summer a junk-yard engine is the one to go with. Check out the local Yellowpages and make some calls since there is quite a variety of options. Be warned - you do get what you pay for.

#3 ·
Thanks 360 - I shopped around for parts and for complete engine as well. The cheapest option for the engine from wreckers is about $800 where as the parts including used head and all gaskets and a piston is working something around 500$. I am in no rush so will explore more for some time and will decide in about a weeks time for what to do.
-Will keep you posted!

#4 ·
Sorry, I forget to answer your questions. The car has got 110 K on it and it is in very solid condition overall. I dont want to part with it but this fact of these engines being notorious for dropping a valve seat is making me feel unconfident about these motors. There is no damage on the block (sleeves) and as i mentioned, only one piston got beaten up a lot by the seat. I will probably take the head to some shop on munday and see if this can be economically repaired.

#5 ·
Mileage is low to have engine damage that severe. As you mentioned, the car is in great shape, so a new engine is more than worthwhile. At least the prices aren't too extreme. Keep myself and other viewers posted on the change...add some photos too if you wish in the gallery!

#6 ·
I did a little shop around and found a cylinder head from a wrecker for 200$. I asked them for one piston to replace the #4 and they gave me a full working engine for additional 50$ with higher mileage. I have unassembled the engine and the head looks OK (except 2 broken exhaust manifold studs in the head - which are taken out now) I will probably replace 3 pistons (#1,2 and 4) becuase 1 and 2 have some dings on them as well. I just got all the parts required to put the engine together and if the weather is good then, i will be doing the assembly this weekend and will keep you guys posted on the progress -Fingers crossed.
I am doing this more as a hobby project and therefore not adding the cost of labour I am doing for this. Otherwise, replacing the full engine would have been a easier(maybe economical) option.

#7 ·
Just to update you guys.....I managed to put the engine together and crank it up......It sounds nice and a short test drive gave me a positive impression. Finally it has got 3 pistons and a cylinderhead from a motor from wreckers and I have used the original piston rings. The second major thing is the 'Felpor' Gasket set which I found from Parts Source ($166 +taxes).
IN SUMMARY - It's a simple straight forward engine to work on.

#9 ·
Hello
I have a 2000 focus with a 2.0 sohc that the valve seat fell apart a destroyed the inside of the engine as so many other people have had happen to their focus engines. I hope Ford realizes how many customers they are losing by using cheap quailty parts and not being responsable for all the problems they are causing. This problem can occur at any time or mileage. There are very few running motors left in the wrecker because most blow up and are not work fixing. It would be nice if Ford came up with a Goodwill program to help Focus owners get back on the road at a resonable price seeing as most people like these vehicles and spent the time and money on upkeep on their vehicles ,just to have them blow up through no fault of their own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.