2000 and something focus power issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 17:32   #1 (permalink)

2000 and something focus power issue

ok, so i cant recall the year just now, but will update when home in a day or so.
anyway.
early to mid 00' decade focus, power issue. think its an 02-04?

recently brought the car, blah blah blah, has about 120,000 kilometers on it blah blah blah, had issues.
1) identified and replaced a faulty speedo sensor unit
2) replaced cat converter which had failed before purchase (the lower half partially disintegrated and turned sideways causing intermittent blockage of exhaust) note ive replaced it with a 200 cell steel cat - great improvement on the stock unit, and a lot cheaper :-D

car seemed ok on short trips for several weeks, took it on a 60km journey (NOTE MY FUEL WAS LOW - UNSURE IF THIS IS A FACTOR?)
50kms in i start going up a small hill and have a power loss when depressing the accelerator.
droped down a gear, same issue. throttle on 60 to 100% = power loss, throttle on 10 to 50% = ok-ish operartion (except im on a hill so im f***ed)

I limped my way to the top of hill and onto a side road away from traffic. turn ignition off, wait a minute, restart car, rev it a bit seems ok for a minute then has power issue again (in neutral too)

turn ignition off and remove key, wait a minute, restart car and it ran fine the rest of the way to my destination.

the question:
do i look at the fuel pump, ignitor, coils etc, or something else?

im thinking ignition myself -any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance
superxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 21:25   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2000 and something focus power issue

I'd replace the fuel filter. Take it to Autozone and they'll pull codes for free.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2000 and something focus power issue

Mr blah blah blah,

Be sure to verify that all your fluids are properly filled. You can get a fuel pressure test done before worrying about replacing things, although as Bert mentioned a fuel filter is part of the regular maintenance. Knowingly with 120K kms it hasn't been done yet and should be. If that's the case, a tune up (new plugs, air filter check etc) should be on your list as well.

If you buy a car with NO MAINTENANCE HISTORY, get ALL THE FLUIDS changed and when in doubt about service, get it up to date. A vehicle is only as good as it's regular maintenance. Sellers can lie. They might tell you that everything is up to date, when in fact it WAS up to date 40,000kms ago. If the previous owner took the car into a small shop instead of the dealer for work, the shop probably used lesser copper core plugs which are only good for about 40-60,000kms, not 100,000kms like it says in the owners manual.

I know it's too late now, but when buying used you can negotiate the price down to replace some things (trans fluid, oil change, tune up) if the owner cannot prove or does not know if or when it was done last.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum