2001 focus no power under load - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 21:12   #1 (permalink)

2001 focus no power under load

Hi Everyone,I have a 2001 for focus wagon with the 2.0 sohc.I just completely rebuilt this engine,New updated head,new pistons rods and mains etc,etc.also has new wires plugs and fuel filter.Took the car out for a test drive and everything was running great for about the first 30 kilos.Started to pull up a long hill and the car shifted out of o/d to drive(normal)when I stepped on the pedal the eng started to surge and had no power.the more you pressed on the pedal the slower it got.Pulled over and eng idled smooth,and revved real nice in park.Went to pull out onto the hiway and gave it some gas to merge and the same thing happened.Now I stopped again,and let it idle for a couple of minutes and decided to head home.Under normal driving conditions eng ran great,but try to accelerate eng would bog down then surge almost like a heart beat.Got home had dinner and decided to take another drive.everything worked great till it got good and warm and same thing.Had my obd 2 with me,hooked it up And no codes.Anyone have any ideads?I was thinking fuel pump with the sock plugged up on it.
ford2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 10:29   #2 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: 2001 focus no power under load

Could be a couple of things, I got a 00 wagon DOHC Zetec, and I have the problem of, when I hit the gas to go go, the engine revs up, but it only pulls the car so much.

I have been told though that the 00 and 01 focus have had problems with there fuel pumps, and that there are two fixes.

1. Go get a new one from Ford that has been rebuilt, so that it doesn't happen again. $400

2. Or go to the junkyard and find one from a 03-04 focus, just the evap lines are different, everything else should line right up if you decide to go this route. $150-$300 depending on junkyard.

The other suggestion was the oil pump inside the trans was a problem on the earlier focus's. And I think you know your options for that.

But I would exhaust everything else before thinking it is a big expensive problem. Do a fuel pressure test, and have a mechanic look at the trans.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

May well be the fuel pump or blockage causing the fault as you suggest . Have you checked the fuel pressure to see it is within specs of 35to 65 psi ? Could also double check timing is set up o.k . as it also gives symptoms of bad flat spot . Seem to be quite a few variations on fuel pump and prices on that year /model according to this ,

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,carc...Fuel_Pump.html
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:52   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Could also check this out , similar symptoms .

AUTO RECALL

Vehicle:
2001 FORD FOCUS

42458, 03V482000, FORD, FOCUS, 2001, 03N01, FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP, FORD MOTOR COMPANY, 19990505, 20010613, V, 671000, , ODI, FORD MOTOR COMPANY, 20031120, 20031120, ,

Problem:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND EVENTUALLY BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE.
THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS OF POWER, SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY BECOME SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Recommendations:
THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.
Old 04-03-2012, 20:22   #5 (permalink)

Well I dropped the tank tonite and sure enough still has the original fuel pump.Removed the pump and opened it up and the sock was plugged.Now here is another question,This assembly is the large plastic one,but it comes apart very easily.I removed the pump itself and it is the same size and shape as the pump out I took out of my f150 when I upgraded the fuel system for the supercharger.The stock pump(f150) only has 10000 kilos on it.Since the computer adjust pressure on the focus do you guys think it would be possible to use the f150 pump and save myself about 300.00 doolars?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:50   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Good you seem to have found the root of your troubles , cant say if pump would be o.k or cause problems .
Old 04-04-2012, 13:27   #7 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

No, your going to want to buy one meant for the focus, the evap lines probably wont match in any way, and you would then have emission problems, plus your going to want one that is specifically meant for the pressure that the SC and new injectors will be needing.

If your looking for a good fuel pump for when you do go SC, check out FSWERKS, or TOPSPEED. At TopSpeed there is a guy there named Tom, ask him, he should be able to hook you up with a good deal.

And if you don't mind me asking? What SC do you have? a JRSC, or PWSC?

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12   #8 (permalink)

OK Guys thanks for all the replys.Maybe I misled some of you on the s/c thing.I have a 2002 Ford F150 extended cab with a Stage 2 Roush package.When I bought the truck the only available option in the stage 2 package was a vortech supercharger.I orders the kit and installed it which made the truck one of a kind. Now when upgradeing the fuel system on the truck had had to replace the stock pump with a higher lph. for the S/C. Last nite I examined the focus pump to the stock f150 pump.everything is the same except for the outlet side,SOOOOO it looks like I have to break down and pay for the updated focus pump.DAMN!!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:51   #9 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

So your going to put a Vortex Supercharger from a F150 into your focus?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:23   #10 (permalink)

NO,Iam not supercharging the focus,The focus is a family staion wagon.But I did go to the wreckers yesterday a found a focus with the updated pump and installed it into mine and all my problems dissappeared!!!!!! The pump looked like it had just been recently replaced so I figured what the hell and chanced it.31.00 dollars compared to 400.00 dollars.Have to give it a try!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum