2001 Focus Wagon starting issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36   #1 (permalink)

2001 Focus Wagon starting issues

My 2001 Focus was parked at an airport long-term parking for 6 weeks. When I returned to pick it up it would not start. When I turned the key to start it would not turn over the motor. The dash warning lights and headlights would light up so I didn't think the battery was dead but I tried to jump and push start it to no avail. I had it towed to a Tire Kingdom and the mechanic tried everything to start it as well but no luck. He did a code search and cleared any codes (not sure if there was any) and then it started.
I picked it up and it would start fine with one key but it would not start with my extra key. I started to drive home and stopped and shut off the motor, came back and once again it would not start. I tried turning the key over, turning it on and off, and somehow it started again. I made it home and it would start fine with both keys for a couple of days.
I went to start it again today and it wouldn't start once again. I turned the key on and off, removed it and turned it over a couple and it started once again.
I bought this car for my wife to take our son to school and I worried it may strand her someday.
Any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Last edited by brykit; 04-30-2013 at 08:41. Reason: additional information
brykit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 09:10   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2001 Focus Wagon starting issues

I would get battery load tested and alternator output checked also .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 15:00   #3 (permalink)

The mechanic did a load test on the battery and checked the altenator. He determined they were not the source of the problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 18:13   #4 (permalink)

I beleive my gremlin is the PATS anti-theft system. Here is a link for anyone else to become better informed: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=234975
Old 05-01-2013, 00:13   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Car fixed ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 18:55   #6 (permalink)

I have problem starting my 2003 wagon after a short (purple wire on plug of coil on + of battery...soldering issue) , fuse ar ok, have changed starter relay, battery A1, but the starter not moving, just the click sound of the relay nothing more (but i have heard the solenoid one time...but no more)
jonfocus2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Could be the starter, the solenoid is in there (integral to the motor these days). If you're getting power to it, and your ground is good, the starter probably decided to retire. Prior to replacing, verify you aren't dealing with oxidation on the terminals.
Old 08-23-2014, 16:03   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
Could be the starter, the solenoid is in there (integral to the motor these days). If you're getting power to it, and your ground is good, the starter probably decided to retire. Prior to replacing, verify you aren't dealing with oxidation on the terminals.
yeah my starter done for, and now i have to figure out what i remove to make it pass... at least it's loose now and the problem is found !
jonfocus2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum