2001 Ford Focus ZX3 Major Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 16:40   #1 (permalink)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 Major Issues

Hey All,

I have a 2001 Ford focus ZX3 with drum brakes on the rear tires and it has been great for the most part. Just recently (The day before yesterday) I heard a very slight grinding noise from the rear tires, but it went away after I drove for a little bit (A minute or 2) so I really paid it no attention. Yesterday the grinding was a bit more intense as I was driving to work so I figured I would just check it out during the weekend. As I was driving back yesterday the grinding was still there and occasionally I felt like the rear of the car was being pulled to one side. Now today I could barely make it back to my apartment, I drove at about 30 mph the whole way back, any faster and the grinding would be ridiculous and there was more pulling than just driving straight.

So to recap:

1. Lots of grinding noises coming from the back tire.
2. Occasionally feels like the rear of the car is being pulled to one side or the other.

I'm no mechanical expert by any means, but I have been looking around a lot online and I've noticed a lot of things saying the old worn out drum brakes could cause a lot of ruckus, but I have no idea for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Let me know if you need any more information. Thank you all.

-Tyler
Wagley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 Major Issues

You'll have to pull the wheel and drum off to see what the problem is. It may be the wheel bearing or something fell apart in the drum. Make sure to use a safety stand before working in there.
Old 06-14-2013, 18:31   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Sounds like you have a stuck caliper, you'll still have to pull the drum, you may need to find a set of pullers.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:20   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

As suggested, wheel bearing failure is very common on that car , giving the symptoms you describe.The wheel can cant/tilt over hitting the back plate and affecting the handling , driving.If badly worn it can jam up and affect the brakes also , damaging the brake shoes , wheel cyl.You need to get it checked out ASAP.Should be easy to see cause after jacking up car.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum