Ford Forums banner

2001 ZX3 - running/dash lights mystery

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Apollo 
#1 ·
I have a strange lighting problem I have been unable to figure out...looking for ideas.

When I turn my headlights on I get only the headlights, no running lights or dashboard lights. I am blowing a fuse for some reason. However I figured out that if I turn on my rear-defroster then my dashlights and running lights come on. They stay on for 15 minutes or so, until the timer for the defroster goes off.

Anybody have clues as to why I blow a fuse for the running/dash lights, but then I can run it through the defroster circuit?

#3 ·
I tried disconnecting the battery without success. I have continued to try and troubleshoot it.

I can replace the fuse, #32 - 10 amp, and switch on the running lights without the car running and the lights will stay on okay. As soon as I start the car, within 5-10 seconds the fuse will blow. So it seems like something is getting too much juice once the car is on. Any ideas? This is quite a stumper. A relay maybe? But I can't figure out which relay might be in the circuit...doesn't seem like any from the schematics I have...

Hoping someone else has had a similar problem.

:driver:

#4 ·
I finally figured out my issue for those that may be interested...the culprit was wiring that had cracked insulation. The area was where the liftgate wiring goes into the roof. When you open the liftgate, if you look inside towards the top you see where the wire bundle goes, it is in a rubber boot. I pulled back that rubber boot, exposed the wires and saw almost all of them had cracked insulation and were contacting each other causing the issues. A little electrical tape around each wire and I was fixed. The cracks are where there is all the articulation when you open the liftgate, so I assume this may be a common occurence..particularly as the wiring gets older, and if you live in cold areas where the insulation will get cold and crack easier. Anyhow...it stumped me for a while, but I am glad I didn't have to send it in to get fixed...cost essentially $0 to fix it! Hope this helps someone else that may have the same issue.

:hy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.