2002 Focus SE rubbing clunking coming from front end - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 12:55   #1 (permalink)

confused 2002 Focus SE rubbing clunking coming from front end

It makes the rubbing noise mostly on right turns (passenger side is were the noise is from) or going over humps in the road were the suspension compresses (rub sound from both sides) clunking comes from passenger side while moving at a slow speed, probably still there at high speed just can’t here it. Also the front tires are wearing heavily on the inside edge. I had the alignment done about a year ago, and they said it was fine. I’m figuring it has something to do with the suspension, and I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem, how much it cost to fix, what the problem was, and is it something I could fix in the drive way with basic tools?

Also how does one bleed the clutch on a focus? Is there a valve somewhere, or something? I have to replace my leaking clutch master cylinder. Has anyone had this problem, and is it an easy fix?

Sorry for all the questions on my first post. Most generally I can figure it out and fix in the driveway. Ever since 60k miles I’ve had little things going out on it. I’m at 105k now and things are stacking up………
Ulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 2002 Focus SE rubbing clunking coming from front end

I think the line, reservoir, master cylinder, and slave all come as a sealed, replacement unit.There is no adjustment on the clutch. With that many miles on it, figure it is about due for a clutch about now anyway. Weigh in that factor along with the other problems you posted and decide if you want to keep it.

It's best to have a shop check it out for the suspension/noise concern since that is hard to guess at on the internet forum.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:40   #3 (permalink)

Cool Thanks for the post. I'm getting the slave master and clutch all replaced.

The Master is behind the clutch pedal, the slave is internal, and since they had to pull the tranny to change the slave I had them put a clutch kit in. Had all new struts and shocks put on..... still grinding from the front. I will probably have the wheel bearings checked and packed next. I saw a service bullitin about the crontrol arms coming loose and causing those kind of noises. I may check into that

TSB #03202
Old 11-27-2006, 19:40   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Wheel bearings are a common problem. Replace those to stop the noise.
Old 12-01-2006, 14:58   #5 (permalink)

Thank you again.

I did notice the noise is most heard turning to the right, and only under power. If I press the clutch in the noise stops. Still a wheel bearing problem? Just seems wierd that it only does it under power. Also this is a daily driver how bad is it running it on worn bearings. Hope to be able to take it in next weekend.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:42   #6 (permalink)

Replaced Bearings..... and still the noise is there. (the bearings were bad though)

At the shop I went to they said my engine mounts had a lot of play, this could attest to why the noise is only noticable when the car is under power. This will be the next Item I look at..... unless someone might have another idea.

Any ideas welcome as I'm getting tired of spending money on fixing this car, but I'm commited to it now.
Old 12-13-2006, 14:49   #7 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

There is also a bearing on the right axle. Did they check that?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:20   #8 (permalink)

They changed the wheel bearings. Is there a bearing where the trany axel connects to the CV Joint? I can't seem to find the part on the online ford parts catalog. Would you have a link with part, and possibly a Diagram?
Old 12-22-2006, 21:01   #9 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

I can't find a link or pic right now, but it is actually part of the right axle since it is replaced as a unit.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:24   #10 (permalink)

Whelp that did not solve the problem either..... I've got a lot of engine play so I'm leaning back towards a worn or broken engine mount. The one I can see on top looks fine, but the rest are hard to see from above. At higher RPM I get a major vibration going down the road. usually more at high speeds too. at lower speeds I get the noise going straight, and more if you turn right. Anyone know how many engine mounts there are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum