2002 Ford Focus idles rough - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 16:44   #1 (permalink)
Lothar

2002 Ford Focus idles rough

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am in desperate need of some help.
The Serve Engine light came on and I took my 2002 Ford Focus to the Garage. The Computer identified the problem as a faulty EGR Valve. The mechanic called and told me that he also suspects some crossfire on the plug wires and advised to also install new wires and Plugs.

After installing the wires and plugs, he had some problem in taking off the EGR Valve, said it was rusted in. He had to take off the Manifold because the bolts sheared off, and that I had to get a new exhaust manifold.

It is now 4 days later, he has everything installed, but now the engine idles very rough, the computer shows no error code and he is trying everything to find out what could cause this.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what could be the problem
Thanks for any replies
Breslau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 04:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2002 Ford Focus idles rough

If there's been a misfire, it's almost certain the coil pack will also now be faulty.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:58   #3 (permalink)
Lothar

confused Re: 2002 Ford Focus idles rough

Hello FordTech, greetings from one of your former "Colonies". Thanks for your reply. Well, the car has been in the shop now since Monday morning, this is Sat. evening. What (I am sure) was just a small problem, seems to have turned into a major headache.
On Monday morning I will tell them to check the Coil as per your suggestion.

I am 77 years old and not up on all the new technology associated with a car. In the mid 1950's I used to race my own Stock car and could take an engine apart and put it back together in no time. I never had a car in the garage until they came out with all the computer controlled sensors etc.. To work on a car now would require a few thousend dollars worth of test equipment and probably a lot more "get up and go" than what I have now.
Anyway, thanks again for your reply.
Regards, Breslau
Breslau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 18:52   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2003 ford focus, where is the egr valve?
silvaggi1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 18:34   #5 (permalink)

Breslau, I would suspect that there is a vacuum leak somewhere. As your mechanic took the intake manifold off, there are a variety of vacuum hoses that are connected to the back of the manifold. Additionally, its possible that the manifold didn't seal up to the head or intake tubing when it was reconnected.
guitarseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 18:36   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvaggi1414 View Post
I have a 2003 ford focus, where is the egr valve?
Are you located stateside? IIRC, only North American Focus' have an EGR valve. If you do, it will be a silver saucer shaped object right behind the coilpack, but in front of the intake tubing on the driver's side of the engine.
guitarseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 15:58   #7 (permalink)

a collapsed vaccum hose around the intake manifold would cause the car to idle erratic. it is given away by a hissing sound under the bonnet.

Coil packs do go in the focus as a common fault so get them to check that out
cronin_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 15:16   #8 (permalink)

Too bad he already did the work. When there's a vacuum leak on/near the EGR valve (he said the bolts were sheared off), you KNOW IT. The car will sound like a popcorn cart with metal wheels rolling down a cobblestone road. There's a tube extending from the exhaust manifold right side that feeds towards the back of the engine, into the EGR valve. If that is compromised, you hear it loud and clear. A simple spot weld by Muffler Shop Joe can fix that - did for me.

Crossfire on the plugs and wires sounds like BS to me. I suppose it's possible, but I don't like it.

Not really sure why he needed to remove the manifold (up front) to get to the EGR valve (in back on top). Unless you have a different motor than I do. Hrmmm... sorry buddy! Wish I had a better opinion on your situation.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum