2002 SOHC Thrust Bearing?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 09:40   #1 (permalink)

2002 SOHC Thrust Bearing??

Well I am here I might as well post one more concern that has been bothering me!!
A few weeks back I had a car in that presented a strange noise at the trans converter flex plate area. I thought that perhaps a crack in the flex plate was the suspect but found that the end play in the crank was huge!! Way more than spec few thousands so pulled the pan and found #3 main thrust bearing worn completely out. I replaced it and checked all other bearings for premature wear but no other issues.Car runs great and noise is gone but I am concerned that there is an underline problem, I have considered trans issues but no codes and it works great.
Has anyone run into this premature wear of the trust bearing? thoughts on causes?
gtuplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 10:33   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2002 SOHC Thrust Bearing??

The only ones I saw with many problems were the older Chev with 454 engine would wear the front side out due to the fact that the torque convertor would swll up like a baloon when hot and put a strain on the front thrust bearing. Nothing on them. Which side was worn the most?
Old 11-29-2009, 20:54   #3 (permalink)

Well both sides showed excessive wear but the rearward side (transmission side) was worn more but hard to tell at what point it all started! It was very bad in my eyes and I would give it a total of 4mm travel forward and rearward. .The oil groves were gone from the bearing thrust side. Thought the crank was to blame but installed the new main and it was right in spec for thrust
I have seen the diesel pickup trucks do this when people install the mighty performance cluch packs, and have heard of torque converters out of ballance causing this but normally other problems arrise from that.
No, not sure what to think because the car runs and drives perfectly now. Perhaps just a bad bearing! Still bothers me to not knowwhy things go wrong!
Old 11-29-2009, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I sure understand your concern. Probably the only thing you can do is check the endplay in a few thousand miles to see if it's wearing again. Makes you wonder if the front pulley is out of line too.
Old 11-29-2009, 21:42   #5 (permalink)

I will be seeing the car at oil change intervals so will keep an eye out to see if it changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum