2003 Ford Focus ZTS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 14:10   #1 (permalink)

2003 Ford Focus ZTS

Hello guys, I looked all around for a good automotive help site and got a few points in this direction. Thanks before hand for any help or input you might have.

I bought a 2003 Focus ZTS that had set up for 6 months. It turned out that a rat or squirrel lived under the hood for a while and chewed some wires. One was the O2 sensor under the engine, and a bundle that run towards the fans and some headlight/blinker lights.

Before finding that it was more than the O2 sensor wire that was severed i tried starting it. The fuel pump started after turning the key to the on position, but when i turned it to crank the engine, the engine would turn but not start. I pulled the O2 sensor and spliced the four wires back together. This might be where i made a mistake (like an idiot). There were 4 wires a black, grey, and two white with no markings. I had hoped they were just some kind of ground and spliced the two white wires together. The bundle that went to the fans i left alone but clipped so they weren't touching eachother, and the last two wires where an orange and orange/white wire that ran to the transmission under the middle of the motor.

Now after that I installed the new battery that had just worked 4 hours earlier and hopped in to start it. I noticed that when I turned the keys to ON all the gauges went to their max positions (like the speedometer went to 140 and the fuel went to full etc). I turned the key to crank it but it didn't do anything. No clicks and no fuel pump starting. I've since spliced the bunch of wires that went to the fan and disconnected the O2 sensor, but still wont start. The main thing i've noted is that the odometer read the mileage before i start, and now all it shows is dashes like this (------). I hooked my friends ODB2 reader up to it and it reads Error. Could i have shorted the car's computer if those two wires from the O2 sensor were backwards?

I've disconnected the battery to reset it and checked all the fuses under the hood and dash.

Its an automatic with the 2.0 Zetec. Before the owner died and it set up all this time it was kept in great shape. Anything wrong was fixed at the dealership and the oil was changed religiously.

Thank you guys, for any help you can give,
Dennis
Compuzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 11:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2003 Ford Focus ZTS

An update on what I posted. I found out why the ODB2 reader had an error and wouldn't read the cars codes. In 2003 they started using a new system called CAN Controller Area Network, and the scanner I have doesn't do CAN. I've noticed that with the key off the gas gauge and temp guage dance around their half way mark for a few seconds and then the odometer flashes all its characters for a split second and the fuel/temp guages drop back to empty and cold for few seconds before starting the whole thing over again. I pulled the panel and the harness is plugged in securely.

I was wondering, is there a chance that some security setting has the car locked out? I remember my mother's malibu did something like this and I had to hold down a cruise control button while I started it (something like that). Does anyone know the way to unlock it if thats it?

Thanks for any help, I'm getting desperate now. I hate the thought of taking it to the dealer.
Compuzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum