2004 2.3 with the P2004 code - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 05:20   #1 (permalink)

2004 2.3 with the P2004 code

My focus has been intermittently stumbling on acceleration for a while now. The check engine light is on now with a p2004 code. The first time I checked the IMRC actuator seemed to be working correctly. It changed position for a while when the engine was accelerated.

I checked it again today and sometimes the actuator is not engaging at all. When this was happening there was vacuum on the input of the solenoid but not on the output. How do I check the solenoid? Is there a way to check that the signal to the solenoid is correct? I only have a basic (cheap) code reader but I have a multimeter and I'm familiar with electronic troubleshooting but not automotive systems.
sdp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 14:48   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 2004 2.3 with the P2004 code

The solenoid should be hot when the engine is running, the solenoid is activated by it's ground being closed. Power is fed from the ignition, through the coil and into the PCM through a micro switch to ground. The IMRC modual monitors it and gives feed back to the PCM if it doesn't play right. Checking continuity across the coil should show a small amount of resistance, and if you can get to the terminals, taking 12V straight to one side and grounding the other should operate it.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10   #3 (permalink)

Well I thought it was the IRMC actuator and I've been waiting to get one. Installed it last week and still having problems.

When I turn on the Key there is 12v and the I hear the actuator engage but when the engine is running the 12v goes away. Any Ideas why the actuator is not getting signal when the car is running? Seems like it was intermittant (initually it worked sometimes) and now the signal always seems to be lost when the car is actual started.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:20   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Checked your plugs ,plug wires /COPs (coil-on-plugs) in case breaking down under load ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11   #5 (permalink)

I will replace the plugs and wires but when it was working well the coil was energised and vacum applied when the engine was idling. Would bad plugs or wires cause the signal to the IMRC coil to go away when the engine is idling but come back when the car is turned off and the ignition is on?
Old 07-13-2013, 15:36   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

The high resistance can weigh down the coil, but the 12 volts is on the supply side of it, that. I'd think, should stay constant. Once energized, a coil requires a certain amount to charge (we're talking milli-seconds), which is why a high performance engine that runs at a high RPM requires a high energy coil. a weakened or overloaded coil won't be able to meet the demand required of it, much like a stock coil would in an engin we all dream about owning.

As another though, where are you measuring the 12V? most components have 12 volts applied to them all the time, the PCM closes the neutral. if you are measuring the ground line back to the PCM from the component, the line will give you 12 volts. Once the PCM energizes it, the 12 volts goes away as you're now reading the ground side of the component.

All this comes to this answer: Possibly. If you happen to be reading the controlled ground, the 12 volts will go away when the PCM calls it into play and bad wires could be your problem.
Old 07-14-2013, 18:29   #7 (permalink)

I disconnected the wires and read across both wires. 12v when the ignition is on but the car is not started. If i connect an remove the connection I can feel and hear the selonoid energize. When the car is started I get nothing across the wires and if i connect the connector the selonoid does not energize. The selonoid is working fine but there is some problem with the signal.

Don't know where the signal comes from (computer?) or how to check the wires? is there a document that someone can point me to?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Just replaced the solenoid on mine. Same car and engine. It would mechanically stick. Would always flow vacuum to the imrc actuator.if it happens that frequent should be able to verify before changing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37   #9 (permalink)

My selonoid is working (replaced) but still not working. Seems that the signal is not getting to the selonoid. I have no idea how to move forward. I can take the signal from the other selonoid and it activates with no problem. Switch selonoids and same issue.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:38   #10 (permalink)

Good Morning sdp1234,
I have the same exact problem. Help me to resolve the issue. It is the right solenoid facing the engine from outside. When I switched the connector from the left solenoid it will work and create the vacuum and code 2004 goes away and code 2008 appears because the left is disconnected. how did you resolve the prob? Thanks and regards
Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum