2004 Ford Focus O/D OFF LIGHT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 15:42   #1 (permalink)

2004 Ford Focus O/D OFF LIGHT

I have a question. I have a 2004 focus, automatic, 27,000 miles on . On my way home from an errand I noticed that the car was kind of JERKY going into each gear....normally I can't even tell when it is shifting, this time it was kind of rough. anyway about 3 minutes later the O/D off began flashing. I FREAKED, this is the first car I have ever owned where some kind of disasterous flashing light did not happen. I came home & read the manual...I still was unsure about what actual over drive is..so I called my mechanic..I took it in ASAP..of course once I restarted to car....no more flashing light, no more rough shifting. He drove the car, checked it..told me that EVERY time the car is turned off & restared the O/D will reset itself....I called a Transmission shop he recommended, and the guy said the best thing to do is the NEXT time it flashes bring it to him ASAP, do not turn it off...so he can read the code. I was told because it flashed only a few minutes there probably was NO history saved....for them to check out...I just am so afraid I'll break down,....but I was assured....that this would not happen..just to keep an eye on it....if it occurs again. Wanted to check this out with any other focus owners....I heard this is a constant problem with the 2004. thanks
buffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2004 Ford Focus O/D OFF LIGHT

Most vehicle store codes for up to 50 restarts of the engine. If the code has disappeared after the mechanic did in fact check for codes, then it shouldn't be much of a concern. Just be sure to change the transmission fluid and filter at the recommended interval in your owners manual. I believe the first service for the Focus is 60K, and then every 30K thereafter.

On a second note: overdrive allows a lower cruising speed and can achieve better fuel economy under light load conditions. If you drive a LOT around town, keep the transmission in third gear. It'll offer some engine braking and it'll save some wear on the transmission from constantly shifting in and out of overdrive. You shouldn't see much, if any fuel economy penalty if you keep speed under 40mph. That's just my opinion. I drive in direct drive (1:1, generally 3rd gear on a 4 speed auto). Never had any trans problems. Even on my 420K Dodge, which are apparently notorious for trans problems that year.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 17:20   #3 (permalink)

my focus only has 26,000 miles on it...and the o/d light has ONLY come on once--so the mechanic said there was NO history for them to download, thAT IF IT happens agIN, BRING THE CAR to them asap without turning it off so they can read the code. You said drive in 3rd gear around town....on the automatic where is 3rd gear? I am normally just in drive....thanks for answering me, everytime I get into my car now I think the o/d light will come on and I will get stranded.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:54   #4 (permalink)

Ok so I just came home from shopping. The first 2 hours were fine.....about an hour ago...every time I came to a light..and then drove my car would get stuck in drive...it happened at least 5 times. No O/D light. This getting stuck in DRIVE has only happened one time before that was months ago. I guess I have no choice but to take it to a Tranny shop for service. I am furious...27,000 miles and now I find out that FORD knew about it. I have spoken to 5 mechanics, and they said on Ford Focus Z3 transmissions are notorious for going down at 25,000+, and it is a common defect. Thanks aLOT ford...This is my 4th & last ford. I find it interesting they send me a customer service questionaire last month, on how my experience was on June 22,2004(LOL) this was a month AFTER I bought my focus brand new...they want me to recall 2004???? so since I had the questionaire & the postage paid envelope to their headquarters, I took full opportunity to "BEND" their ear on my disatisfaction over having to shell out probably over 3,000 for a new transmission on a car with less than 28,000 miles on it. I should have listened......many many years ago:
FORD: Fix or REPAIR DAILY
Ford:^%$#@ ON RACE DAY!
Old 05-09-2009, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Don't forget this one

FORD-F*****g Old Rebuilt Dodge!
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 22:10   #6 (permalink)

LOL
Old 05-10-2009, 05:44   #7 (permalink)
canuck

Driver
Returns
On
Foot
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:06   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

lol
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 16:29   #9 (permalink)

Ok, just got the call from COPELAND the transmission shop....and they are replacing the A Solenoid, new filter etc....but he said there was alot of metal in the pan? He said it seems as though something is internally causing this......but hopefully this solenoid replacement will buy me another 10,000 miles or so...I will get rid of this piece of crap that Ford will not stand by. I should not have a transmission problem after 27,000 miles...and FORD claims they never have to service focus trannys.....they are LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!on top of it...I have to have a locksmith come to my home, pay him 195$ to put a new ignition in the damn car so the stupid locking wheel quits locking.....another famous ford focus Faux paux........I just need this car to last another year then I will get something else, but I am done with FORD.....mainly because of their Excuses, denials, and lack of caring about their customers....basically we don't matter!
Old 05-16-2009, 19:35   #10 (permalink)
canuck

That downright sucks. I'd be livid if anyone found metal in the trans pan with such low mileage. I'd push for a new unit, no matter what the service department tries to tell me, as they obviously don't know themselves what is wrong. Why? Because the service ppl probably have never seen the interworkings of a transmission since they're build to last FOREVER! Crazy. If all else fails, take it to another dealer if there's one nearby. I'm sure they'd love to get reimbursed from Ford to give you a new transmission. It mostly comes down to the attitude of the local Ford Rep that gives the OK for warranty claims.

I've had a ball joint recall done TWICE now on my Dodge Durango. First at 85,000kms then again at 162000kms...and it's NINE years old. Great to have such long coverage after purchase! I believe it's also due to the fact I've been loyal in taking my Durango in for service to the dealer when I can't do the work myself. Records can say a lot.

I believe there was a 2007 Focus thread, where the PZEV engines have a LIFETIME air filter, like 150,000mile service life - LOL.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum