2005 Ford Focus ZX4 (i think) gauges dont work - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 11:01   #1 (permalink)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 (i think) gauges dont work

I bought this car used and it didn't have an owner's manuel. I've been having problems with it since March of this year. The battery light came on while I was drivng from Texas to Arkansas. The gauges for the speed-o, gas, everything on my dash was going down all the way to the left like the car was off. On top of that the mileage was going off just like the car was off. Well on my way back to Texas I had the battery changed. This didn't change the problem.

So when all the gauges go 'off' my car is still driving just fine. But my headlights go all crazy. So if it's night and all the gauges go off my brights come on. If the gauges are all working at the moment and I try and put my brights on it's nothing it's dark no lights on at all.

The gauges don't stay off they will come on and off severl times while I'm driving to work. Sometimes 3-4 times in a row. I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic and go have at it fix whatever is wrong. I want to know what is wrong with it before I go. So far someone told me the altenator but that was replaced maybe a year ago. Someone else told me that it could be the lighting control module...do I have one, where is it, and how can I replace it?
cyvonnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 11:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 (i think) gauges dont work

Thank you for your input, oblivion. I will check anything anyone thinks it may be. I didn't think it was the altenator. I will check to see if there is a wire off of the neg terminal. Thanks!
cyvonnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:41   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Check battery cables and all earths / grounds . Would also be advisable to get alternator tested , simple two min job . Some Focus models suffered similar problems due to instrument cluster panel faults , requiring replacement . Not sure if a faulty GEM (Generic Electronic Module) would cause this also . Best bet would to get it scanned if not something simple with cables or grounds as suggested
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage

I agree^, this sounds like a simple ground that has come un-done, but the alt is defiantly worth a check for how simple it is to do.

The most common ground to come apart is the one leading from the neg side of the battery, to the side fender wire loom, as it is too short, and simple things such as moving the battery can cause it to come lose.

This ground wire is a ground for the PCM, and could cause damage to the PCM if not fixed.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum