2005+ and Pre 2005 Focus motors. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Focus Forum Forum for the discussion of the Ford Focus

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 07:06   #1 (permalink)

2005+ and Pre 2005 Focus motors.

Hello, I'm new to these forums and I recently purchased a used 2005 ZX5. I was doing some reading and I noticed the 2005 is the first focus with a different motor from the Zetec before it, I can't find any real information distinguishing between the two tho. Anyone know the key differences? Is the motor in the 2005 crap? I probably should have read up on this BEFORE purchasing the car, but it was a good deal and so far I'm loving it. :)

But does anyone know the key differences and pro's / con's of the different models?

Thanks.
vgagliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 06:38   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Re: 2005+ and Pre 2005 Focus motors.

The 2005 motor is a Mazda-designed Duratec and I haven't heard much of anything bad about it. It is not really related to the Zetec at all.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 22:24   #3 (permalink)

Ahh okay thats good to know, thanks. :)

Does the zetec get better mileage? My friend claims that her Focus goes like 700km/s to a tank easy on the highway in her focus, I tried mine and I did 620 when I hit the gas light. Although I'm a bit agressive at driving. I was averaging 140km/h on the highway.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:50   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

I used to have a 2000 Focus with the Zetec, and it would punish even remotely aggressive driving with awful mileage.

Also, the gas gauge on those cars isn't exactly a precision instrument; you're much better off comparing liters per 100 km than how many miles you can get between refueling. This difference could be from the light turning on a liter or so earlier on your car.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 19:09   #5 (permalink)

i have the 2.0 duratec and i will have to say i love the engine. i get better gas mileage than the guys in my club with the zetec, the duratec responds better to mods like exhaust and intakes. the easiest way to tell if you have a zetec or a duratec is look at where the exhaust manifold is. if its up front its a zetec which was 2000-04, the duratec was in some 03-04s and you can tell that by the exhaust manifold on the back of the motor. twords the firewall. there are a few guys on our forums that have naturally aspirated duratecs that have 201.?? fwhp but the zetec is only capable of 150fwhp which was the svt version of the zetec with variable cam timing, forged rods, little higher compression, and of course the almighty getrag tranny. so i would say you honestally have made a good purchase and i would stick with the car it should be around with you for a long time. btw you car has the 2.0 dohc instead of the 2.3 dohc, but its still a good motor to have in a reliable car
Old 11-28-2008, 20:26   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
I used to have a 2000 Focus with the Zetec, and it would punish even remotely aggressive driving with awful mileage.

Also, the gas gauge on those cars isn't exactly a precision instrument; you're much better off comparing liters per 100 km than how many miles you can get between refueling. This difference could be from the light turning on a liter or so earlier on your car.
I crammed in 44.4 Litres into my gas tank when I refuled and I had gone 622 kilometers. I figured that out to be about 33MPG. Compared to the new focus that I see adds for getting 50mpg?? God I wish.

I do love my focus so far tho I gotta admit for the cost of the vechicle it drives very well on the highway. I don't think I've had to slow down for a corner yet. :)
Old 11-29-2008, 12:34   #7 (permalink)
canuck

The Duratec engine is a Ford design. Mazda uses the Ford engines and tunes them to their own liking...which isn't a bad thing. Mazda's are tuned for higher rpm HP rather than torque, so it'd be no surprise to find out that the Focus would return better mileage. The Duratec is more computer controlled than the previous Zetec engine. So, if you want to mod it your better off getting it properly tuned on a dyno to achieve best results. Getting a dyno tune with a Zetec is also a good choice to get maximum performance out of the mods.

The two engines share nearly the same displacement; Zetec - 1988cc, versus 1999cc for the 2.0L Duratec. The Duratec has a wider bore than the Zetec and the cams run off of a chain rather than a belt drive for better reliability.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:22   #8 (permalink)

I've never had a vechicle tuned on a dyno before, is it basically just a matter of taking it into a place that has a Dyno and they do the tuning for you for a fee? Or do they just dyno the vechicle and you take it home and tune it yourself then bring it back to see the results? I wouldn't know the first thing as to what to change on mine. All I'd really like is a bit more low end torque, extra gas mileage wouldn't be bad but I doubt you can tune it on a dyno to achieve better mileage, or can you?
Old 11-30-2008, 19:37   #9 (permalink)
canuck

Getting a vehicly dyno'd is exactly that. A shop that has the proper equipment will charge generally a flat fee to put the car on the dyno and you'll get a printout of the performance numbers. To get it tuned, a shop will generally charge hourly as they figure out the best air-fuel ratio while calibrating all your mods into the vehicles computer to get the most performance out of what is installed. Depending on the complexity of the mods it can take 1-4hours to do a proper job and cost around $500...if not more. It's not cheap in most cases, but it's worth while to get all the mods working in unison with the engine.

You can tune for low end torque at the cost of some HP. You can't tune for better mileage, however a lot of people say after a proper tune, mileage will improve since you're maximizing the performance potential of the mods installed on the vehicle.

If your unsure what to add to your vehicle. I'd wait until parts start to need replacement such as regular maintenance items. When its time for a new air filter, get a performance cold air intake installed, when its time for an oil change, get full synthetic oil installed with a good filter which will free up drag on the engine and give you an extra horse or two. When the exhaust is shot, replace it with a free-er flowing one. If you're concerned about increased noise with an aftermarket exhaust don't be. There are a few on the market that hardly increase noise while giving better flow than stock. If you want to go a bit more extreme such as a performance cam, or even a supercharger/turbo setup then a proper tune with a dyno is a must. You will notice a benefit just from tuning a vehicle with synthetic oil, intake and an exhaust, but it won't totally justify the money to get it done. Generally adding an intake all you have to do is disconnect the battery for ten to fifteen minutes and then reconnect it so the computer can 'learn' the new intake air volume and adjust the air-fuel ratio accordingly and a tune isn't generally necessary.

You can purchase programs to install on a laptop to tune the vehicle yourself, but that isn't cheap. While on the 'cheap' subject, there are programmers available that will allow a mild tune by changing spark advance etc to aid in increasing vehicle performance. Some chips include but not limited to JET, Superchips & Hypertech which are the most popular. JET chips are the cheapest and don't give good gains, but are available for nearly every vehicle on the market. For smaller engines with minimal mods a custom tune at a shop is still the way to go. With today's modern electronically controlled engines, it's easier to customize mods to work in together on any particular vehicle.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:05   #10 (permalink)

Damn, thanks for all the intel. I appreciate it. I was thinking basically along the same lines of just replacing it as it breaks, I'm not a hardcare enthusiast (as its painfully obvious) but its still fun to play. Makes a lot more sense to replace things as they break rather then waste perfectly good stock parts. For the moment I want to keep it pretty basic, intake/exhaust and I really wouldn't mind a cam. I used to have a Honda CRX and I did those 3 things and it helped a lot, and I don't mind a louder exhaust, aslong as it doesn't set off car alarms I'm good to go, I just like that little rumble at idle. :) Thank again for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Focus Forum